Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Apricots from seed

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    dierichdierich
    Participant

I’ve got some apricot trees which have grown from seed – will they grow true to type and fruit in years to come, or is it hit and miss?

When they’re bigger I’d like to plant one out and give the others away, but won’t if its not highly likely we’ll get the fruits from my labor!

Thanks, Di

karyn26karyn26

Hi Dierich

I picked up some apricot seeds from my friend the other year but I made sure the tree wasnt a graft.

I planted them out this year only a month ago, I really cant remember, anyway I snapped this pic of it the other day.

fruitfulfruitful

Hi dierich,

I have the book “The best of Jackie French” and in it she says

“Almost all fruits will grow from seed. I’ve grown hundreds of fruits from seed: sadly, all have been almost identical to its parent. Grafting ensures that a fruit is absolutely identical to its parent. Some rootstocks (eg passionfruit, kiwi fruit and some grapes) are ususally more vigorous than the variety that’s grafted on to them, so the new plants grow faster and are therefore hardier. Other rootstocks are less prone to root rot or tolerate drier, harsher conditions. These give you smaller dwarfed trees.”

I’ve been reading through all my earth garden mags and that was the one thing that really stood out to me, she says it over and over and over. Gotta be some truth to it?? She also says that with avocado they turn out more frost tolerant and hardier than the grafted ones from the shop even tho they need the same special care for the first three years that you’d take with a grafted avocado. I don’t recall any special mention of apricots but I’m more interested in avocado at the moment!

Vicky

dierichdierich
    Participant

Thanks – I’ll keep persevering and give them lots of TLC then!

bushybushy

Its a fun experiment to grow fruit trees from seed, but if you have limited space then its not a productive plant for 7 years, rarely before. Whereas a $20 gafted known variety gives you at least 5 years of fruit in the same time

colourscolours

regarding avocados (sorry to hike the post), I’ve tried growing Bacon avos 3 times now and had failures for varying reasons, mainly hungry animals. So I’d like to try again, but would prefer to grow from seed. Does anyone know where to get the fruit from? I’ve never seen it in the shops.

Growing an apricot tree from seed is a fun project and also saves you money if like to eat lots of apricots. Many varieties of apricot trees need cross pollination, so you may want to grow more than one to make sure you get fruit. The hardest part of growing the tree may be getting the seed out of the pit. You will not start to see fruit on the trees for 3 to 4 years.

Instructions

Allow some pits to dry out for a couple of days by sitting out. This will allow the seeds inside to shrink a little. Use nut crackers or a vise to slowing crack the pits, trying not to damage the seeds. Take out the seeds.

Soak the seeds for about three days, changing the water daily. Wrap the seeds in a damp paper towel and place in a zipper type sandwich bag. Place the bag in the refrigerator for four to six weeks. This will place the seed through an accelerated period of what would happen naturally. Watch for the seeds to start to sprout.

Mix together some fruit tree potting soil and some compost. Place some gravel in the bottom of a waxed milk or juice container and place some drain holes in the bottom.

Plant the sprouting seeds in the containers and place the containers on a tray in a sunny window. Water when the soil starts to dry. Apricots like to be damp but they do not like to be wet.

Transplant the seedlings outdoors in a sunny location after there is no further threat of frost. Just cut away the container so the roots are not disturbed and plant at the same level they are in the container.

BelBel

I’ve got apricot trees popping up everywhere I have compost – because I threw a heaps of seeds in the compost last year. I’m saving a few to grow out and hope they grow true to type. They certainly grow very easily from seed!

fruitfulfruitful

Now that you mention it Colours, I don’t recall seeing Bacon Avocado in the shops either, I know that you can purchase the tree from Diggers, might be the way to go unless you can find someone with a tree who is willing to save a seed for you?

donnamacdonnamac

We had apricots sprouting from fallen/composted fruit from our tree. We are worried the tree is getting on a bit, so we have planted one of the seedlings after having it in a pot for about 12 months. There is a long way to go but I’m hopeful it will eventually produce fruit.

colourscolours

Thanks Fruitful. I’ve bought 3 from Daleys and an astonishing price. I regretfully found my best (and last) remaining specimen eaten, roots and all one day and I refuse to buy any more. Until I give in and try again. Just thought I’d see if anyone has seen the fruit in other states.

bushybushy

You dont need to crack the kernal for the seed to sprout, it will open when ready.

You are very unlikely to get fruit in 3 or 4 years unless grafted.

A grafted tree, and this applies to avocado as well, will produce next year, will guarantee good fruit of known quality. A seedling as a rule of thumb will take seven years or more to get into production, and may produce poor quality fruit. Been there, done that.

It is an interesting thing to do, grow a seedling, and sometimes they have lovely fruit but if you have a small backyard its an area tied up for a long time with no production.

halfhandhalfhand

I have grown numerous fruit trees from seed and all the stone fruit, pears and citrus seem to come true, however apples seem to vary wildly. As has already been mentioned by others they take a while to fruit but once established seem to me to be more pest resistant and drought tolerant than grafted species in the same area. There is some scientific evidence which has recently come to light about plants genetic memory, and it goes something like this. Scientists in Canada ( I Think) have shown that plants retain a genetic memory of the conditions the were raised in, and grow to expect those conditions for the rest of their lives, so when planted in a garden which has wildly different condition from that in which it was raised, the plant under performs. But plants germinated in the area they are to grow perform much better in the long run. This phenomenon is something most gardeners have probably noticed in there own gardens re: seeds vs Punnets, I know I have. Seed grown veges and plants seem to out compete their store bought cousins.

It should be noted though that some species are grafted on to specific root stock for different soil types, and you are supposed to buy the grafted root stock to suit your climate and soil. Which is all very well in theory, but if you try asking your average Bunnings worker which root stock the trees are on, or which one is right for your area, you’re only reward will be a blank look. 🙂

vaughanovaughano

bushy post=326470 wrote: It is an interesting thing to do, grow a seedling, and sometimes they have lovely fruit but if you have a small backyard its an area tied up for a long time with no production.

I agree 100%. If you need guaranteed fruit then grow your seedlings and graft or bud them to a known variety. Get on You Tube and learn how in a spare hour or two.

I’ve produced for myself over 150 fruit trees in recent years and the biggest cost was the rootstocks, which I ordered through commercial nurseries. This still produced trees at less than 20% of retail cost, but if you can save that money by growing your own rootstocks from seed, then you can produce trees very cheaply indeed!

Plant seeds by all means, but graft over them if you want guaranteed fruit.

Vaughano

dierichdierich
    Participant

I’m going to persevere with the apricots – we already have two trees, one well established and a newer one, but next year we will be starting a whole new orchard area, incorporating our chook run and netted from birds, so I will plant the seedling out there and see what happens! Thanks for all the advice. 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.