Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Anyone registered for HS in NSW?

Home Forums SIMPLE SUSTAINABLE LIVING Home Schooling Anyone registered for HS in NSW?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    RoquenRoquen

Just hoping to get a network of NSW people who can tell me a bit about how it all goes here with regards to getting registered successfully for homeschooling? I understand all the requirements but would love to hear from people who have actually gone through the process, or would be interested in petitioning the government to improve it to make it more accessible for others.

Also – What happens if you don’t register? Just wondering!

Thanks 🙂

mamarosiemamarosie

Hi Roquen,

I am reigstered in NSW.

I don’t agree with all the requirements, more so the nitty gritty of each KLA, but I showed that I was prepared to make an effort to meet their requirements. I have been offered two years registration (this is the max you can get) twice now and the inspector has been happy with us.

As for not registering, the worst I believe is going to court and being ordered by a judge to register.

MamaRosie

RoquenRoquen

Thanks for that! So how much detail do you have to go into with the KLA etc – ie how long would an inspector be with you to discuss it all ?What actually happens when the inspector visits?

We want to be very relaxed about his education and not have a great deal of structure (I guess “unschooling” but would be good to know well in advance what I’d have to do to meet requirements !

mamarosiemamarosie

Hi Roquen,

I guess I have gone into a fair bit of detail. I didn’t use the NSW BoS outcomes for the KLAs but did look at them and made a point of letting the inspector know I had looked at them.

For our two inspections the inspector arrived and greeted us all, our particular inspector loves children and it was really obvious by the time she gave to them. She sat down with coffee/tea and snacks we had made – it went down well that the children were involved with this both making and serving. While drinking and eating she looked over my educational plan and resources. During this time she also enquired as to where the children did their schooling. (dining table, lounge, table on the verandah. I played down the floor and said mostly at the table knowing that this would be more a ‘sought after’ answer).

On a tip fomr another/other homeschoolers I piled up ALL our resources on the table for the first visit. It was too much so the next time I had our main resources there and directed/told her about the others. Resources are just not books either, don’t forget to mention educational programmes, equipment (balls, cooking stuff, arts stuff) and outside activities – maybe playing soccor or attending a homeschool group.

My plan was simple, it just took a while to get it how I wanted it. I listed outcomes for each KLA, main reources and how we were going to achieve the outcomes. I tried to keep it to one page, the inspector appreciated this as she remarked that she often is handed massive volumes of paper. I got my KLA outcomes from Rebecca Rupps Learning Year by Year book. I bought the book from amazon. It is great and much easier understood than the NSW BoS rubbish. The inspector thought I was a teacher!

on another reply shortly i will post some examples for you – need to check the oven!

mamarosie xxx

mamarosiemamarosie

maths example for kindy.

outcomes;

be able to group objects into sets, identify and continue simple repeating patterns, be able to count from 0-31, understand one to one correspondance, identify ordnial posisitions from 1st to 5th, given a number be able to identify one mroe or one less, undetsand the concept of one half, know the meaning of plus and minus signs, be able to add and subtract numbers from 1 -10, make and interpret simple pictorial graphs, identify coins, experiment with measurements of weight heightlength and capacity, know what a themometer is and what it measures, be able to make simple hotter then colder than comparisons, know the days of the week in order, recognise the names of the months, tell time to one hour, identify left and right hands, recognise basic 2D shapes…..

For resources I listed a maths workbook and general resources like MAB blocks, cooking equipment etc. a short generalised list.

For how we achieved the outcome I said we would work through the maths book on a daily basis, dating work as we went and noting in a diary of any problem areas that needed extra work. Also t note inthe diary were other activities that involved maths (such as cooking – learn half).

For other areas a method we used alot and still continue to use is narration. I read a book or part of a book and have the children retell back to me. Usually they would draw a picture related to what I have read and I would scribe onto the page of the picture what they have told me.

Also in my diary, a plain lined book, I would make notes like ‘ needs work on b/d sounds’, ‘great reading today, keen to read and made a great effort at aounding out’, ‘not a good day, sent to bed due to attitude and we attmepted bookwork later when more receptible, a rest/sleep was needed’.

I guess I started out more schooly in my approach, dh is happy as long as we do something everyday for reading and maths. He doens’t mind if it is only going over timestables or reading one book. Its the consistancy that counts and builds up to the skills.

With natural learning you can easily do this, we are more and more this way. Beverley Paine has some great articles onher site, and she has written some very helpful books. All helpful whether you are natural learning inclined or not.

http://www.homeschoolaustraila.com.au is her site I think.

oh, one more thing. On the second visit from the inspector she looked through the childrens work (pictures with narrations mostly) and listened to them read a story to her. She was happy with this. the diary. I think she read two entries but flicked through it and could see that there were alot of entries, she commented that it was ‘thorough’ recording and I don’t think I write up much compared to what we do!

how your inspection goes will depend on what your inspector is like. Prior to my first I had heard ‘scary’ stories about our inspector and was worried. I just tried to give what they were after as the inspectors are only one in a chain and they have a job to do. the easier I made it for my inspector the easier it was to get approval i figured.

Also when it comes down to it, put what they want in the plan then go do what you want, juts record some of what they are looking for when they return to reregister you. Does this make sense???

mamarosie xxxx

RoquenRoquen

THANKYOU!

That information is exactly what I needed. All sounds doable 🙂 I’m an organisational nazi so having records ready for them like that will be easy. Thanks again, I feel much more confident about it now!

mamarosiemamarosie

I’m glad that I could help!

Have I mentioned Beverley Paine’s website? http://www.beverleypaine.com.au or try it without the www. or just try http://www.homeschoolaustralia.com.au – this is her old site that is being redirected to her new one.

ANYWAY She has TONS of great articles on so many aspects of homeschooling. These are even more useful because they are authored by more than one person.

She also sells some very helpful getting started books and helping booklets. postage is included in her book prices so this makes it easy to get two this week and get another two or three in a couple of weeks time, no adding up book totals numerous ways with postage to work out the cheapest option.

Have you seen the homeschool classified ads board?

http://homeschoolads.proboards51.com/index.cgi

They are moving to a new site and the details are on the old one, it is still current and if you have a look around you will get an idea of how it works – bit like ALS! There are homeschoolers from all walks of life there.

I would love to know how you go with your registration when it comes up.

MamaRosie

deeedeee

Hi Roquen,

We started homeschooling last term. I’ve not got around to registering, but have no objections to it. I think you may be surprised how many homeschoolers there are in Western Sydney. I was. I live in the Hawkesbury, so not far from you. There are a couple of groups in the Hawkesbury alone. Another I think meets monthly at Rouse Hill Park.

Another website for you is homeschool favourites (don’t have the link, you’ll have to google. Sorry!). Its run by a friend of mine who has been homeschooling for 15+ years and runs an online bookshop for homeschoolers. Mostly Charlotte Mason, which uses a lot of narrative stuff.

We use a Steiner curriculum. Currently this is a hodge-podge of three steiner curriculums while we still work out what suits our son best and what suits us too. Happy to discuss further. My son is 7. How old are/is yours?

D

deeedeee

Sorry: meant to add that I’m not trying to plug the above website beyond the fact that its a good link to an established homeschooler with lots of experience registering in NSW. She’s passionate about homeschooling and always ready to help. Her stuff (and many of the HSers round here) has a Christian focus. We don’t and everyone seems to get on well regardless.

D

redhen2redhen2

i don’t think the inspectors are allowed to ask to check bookwork or test the children.

obviously you would be keen to make them happy, but they’re really there to look at your plans and judge your commitment, i think.

god knows how many children would be sent home if they inspected their in-school work 😆

also worth remembering that you care more about your child’s wellbeing and education more than the inspector does, so you have every right to feel confident and qualified to homeschool.

i know several people who have not registered. some have been homeschooling under the radar for years. the board of studies is too busy to chase people suspected of truancy. we are registered because i didn’t want that extra thing over my head.

i think if you unschool, you will need to look at the kla’s and show how your actiities allow you to meet them. i keep a diary listing activities and at the end of the year, i’ll outline how we have used them to learn what needs to be learned.

we love homeschooling. good luck.

kathy

tgcountytgcounty

It’s thrilling for me to read of so many taking back the responsibility for their children. We started with our 4 children in 1984 in Melbourne, and continued when we moved to Northern NSW, where our 5th was born. We certainly ‘had our moments’ as with any new endeavour, their has to be a learning curve. For anyone who wants to do it, I say, “Find a way”. It was a great experience for our family. Trish

deeedeee

Thanks, Trish. Its lovely to hear from someone who has been successful. We had a visit from the Board of Studies bloke on Monday. He was lovely – really helpful and positive, quite happy to look at the curriculum I’d devised (adapted from a US Steiner curriculum) and relate that back to the KLAs (so saving me the bother!), and really keen on homeschooling. We’ve been recommended for 2 years registration. It was a great relief for my husband and I, and I think we have slayed that boogie man for good! Strangely enough, I felt more confident walking through the local shops with my son yesterday. While I’m not worried about other people opinions of our lifestyle choices, I just felt legitimised somehow (silly really). Didn’t bat an eyelid when one old bag did a double take, checked her watch and tut-tutted to herself

D

angelpussangelpuss

After having my son’s school days consist of him sitting in the storeroom for most of the day, I fought with his school and the Dept. of Education for 12 months to take him out of mainstream and home school. Because he was primary school age, it was extremelly difficult and I was blocked at every turn by every counsellor, home – school liason officer, Dept of Education staff member, everyone except his principal, who understood how unhappy he was, and his teacher who NEVER spoke to me and did not attend the meetings I arranged. Eventually, when we could no longer cope with the vomiting, stomach pains, nights of no sleep and other self destructive behaviours, I told six Dept of Ed staff members I had had enough and I would teach him myself! The home – school liason officer was on my doorstep at 9am the next morning with the paperwork to sighn my son out of the system. I homeschooled him with no curriculum or supervision to year 7, he then entered High School when he felt confident and 18 months later is still going strong! My message to you is; stand by your beleifs and do not let anyone sway you from what your instincts tell you, there is always a way forward.

angelpussangelpuss

PS: there is also the “Christian Education” curriculum which is accepted by the NSW Dept of Education and has offices in QLD and NSW. I think they are Christian Education Network or College, a google should come up with it. They provide lessons, materials etc., and no inspectors come to your home from the Dept as it is a recognised distance education provider. Also if your children are high school age, Distance Education is much easier to organise through the Dept of Ed. Hope this helps! Regards, Angelpuss

RoquenRoquen

Thanks everyone for the replies – I’ve been SO busy with moving and building our house that I haven’t had a chance to get back here to read much!

deee my son is only 17 months but if the time keeps going as fast as it has, he will be 5 in no time lol.

All of this information is so encouraging and helpful, it’s great to know I have you guys here to talk to about it all! We decided the other week it is our definite decision to educate him at home, so I now have to start gradually convincing my family it is the best option 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.