Aussies Living Simply

Any Ferret Owners out there-We need some advice

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE Backyard livestock Any Ferret Owners out there-We need some advice

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    mashellymashelly

we have ferrets arriving in a few weeks..I have read online some stuff but I would like to know all you as an owner can tell me what you think we ought to know please and thank you.. we will be using them to catch rabbits

weaverweaver

Karyn26 has ferrets so she may be able to help you.

i have had mostly pet ferrets, gorgeous things and very well mannered, also had some for rabbitiing years ago but they could be quite visious at times, what do you need to know? … feed good quality dry cat food , not the cheap home brand stuff, egg yolk is good for them, golf ball size piece of raw mince per day, my kids always took the pet ferets out on hanesses to play.

good luck with them

karyn26karyn26

Hi mashelly,as weaver pointed out I do have ferrets,have had them for nearly 20years.

You need to remember that all ferrets bite and it hurts.

You can train them not to bite by wearing gloves and handling them as much as possible.A flick on the nose usually stops this over time.

I have borrowed a few books from friends on ferrets and took notes I also bought a good ferret book,even though it is UK based but still gives a lot of good info,the title is;Ferreting A Traditional Country Pursuit.by David Bezzant.

If you PM me I can send on more info in the post which could be very helpful, I usually hand this on to people when they buy babies from me.

I breed ferrets and sell the babies I keep the parents which are my pets ATM I have 8 ferrets I have had about 17 at one stage.

I have kept them as house pets or rather they let us live in the house.

My pic is of one of our favourites Rocky ferret.

karyn26karyn26

This is the ferret yard from the outside.

Hi mashelly thought I’d post some pics of the ferret from this mornings run around in their yard plus their housing set-up

karyn26karyn26

Some friends children thought this an appropriate sign for the gate

karyn26karyn26

The first cage we constructed,is 4 cages wide quite deep with plenty of floor room and space to stretch out eg climb up.

mashellymashelly

that is HUGE i’m not sure what we got is suitable now.. i bought some harnesses to walk them not sure what else we might need

karyn26karyn26

The ferrets like to have room to climb and stretsh upwards.

karyn26karyn26

This is the 2nd lot of cages DH designed for the expanding ferret population,this one has a mezanine level and a ramp for access.Where the brick is is the door it lifts upwards and had a long metal piece with a hooked end that sits inside a hole.When the door is shut therre is a clasp to hold it closed otherwise the smarty pants push it up and get out.

karyn26karyn26

THis is the inside of one cage with a top opening sleeping box,toilet tray up the back,Sturdy bowls for water and feed.

In summer I give them an ice-cream container of water and sit a half brick in so they dont tip it up,plus they like to submerge their faces in the water to keep cool.

Some ferrets do love a swim others dont.

karyn26karyn26

The inside of another cage with front access to sleeping box,these ones like to dig in their food bowl for the right biscuit hence the board under their bowl.

karyn26karyn26

There are “toys” for the ferrets to play in such as this hollow log,there are also small bits of PVC piping to play in also.

karyn26karyn26

One of the girls having a snack

karyn26karyn26

Two of the boys having a wrestle,the white one is a black-eyed-white his name is Hercules and the brown one is BJ jnr

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.