Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

any electricians out there?

Home Forums OVER THE BACK FENCE General chat and catching up any electricians out there?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    ali_celtali_celt

I have to get some things tested and tagged for an upcoming event. I don’t know what to pay, and I don’t know how many things need to be done either.

I have 5 small lights (3 are new), a couple of extension leads and a couple of powerboards, as well as the charger for my laptop and my printer.

Do I need to have USB items tested? eg the cable that runs from the PC to the item?

Do i need to have the cables on BOTH sides of a transformer tested?

How much is OK to charge for this?

Thanks

Ali

porgeyporgey

ali-celt, I think the bigger hardware stores and electrical supply companies will test & tag for you. How much they charge or what a sparky will charge I am not sure. Its a fairly straight forward procedure so it realy should not cost to much. Hope the event goes well.

redhen2redhen2

hi ali. i spoke to my bf ( :kiss: ) about this. he has worked in events for a hundred years and can do the testing. the Act apparently requires a “competent” person to do it. so, you don’t need to ask a sparky or otherwise licensed person to do it.

you could call a couple for a price, as well as an appliance repair shop. if you know anyone who regularly needs to do this, they can probably do it for you (eg someone who works in theatre).

good luck.

redhen2redhen2

have asked yet more questions: apparently anything that has 240 volts running through it needs to be tested.

ali_celtali_celt

ahh so only the cable from the powerpoint to the transformer then, and nothing beyond? that is good to know.

I may call a friend – if you do not need to be a sparky, he might have th ability. having the tags is another question LOL

redhen2redhen2

well, bf reckons the Act requires that the tag shouldn’t be metal and needs to be permanent. so, if you reckon you can mount an argument that a sticker is a permanent as anything in this crazy world, that should do the trick.

however, further interrogation reveals that there is a tag commercially available – which most sparkies etc will have a stash of. while using that tag is not required under the law, most use them. the problem is that those inspecting at the event will think that it is law and will look for it. if you don’t have it, they may get upset and maybe not let you in.

his rather boring advice is that you find someone who does this and has a bought tag to put on the cords.

ali_celtali_celt

i have found a retired sparky just up the road who has some tags in his van, so I’m heading up there tomorrow with everything. Hopefully it works out!

Thanks heaps for your advice redhen! (and thank the SO for me too!)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.