Aussies Living Simply

Another Tasmanian…

Home Forums OVER THE BACK FENCE Introduce yourself Another Tasmanian…

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    weaver

I ate gooseberries off the bush in Parattah as a child until I made myself sick :sick: :sick: :blush: !!!!!! Now I cant even look at them or think too hard about them without feeling nauseated. Mind you I thought they were absolutely yummy (obviously or I wouldnt have eaten so many). We ate them really ripe and popped the middle out of the skin.

chareaves
    Participant

weaver post=333000 wrote: I ate gooseberries off the bush in Parattah as a child until I made myself sick :sick: :sick: :blush: !!!!!! Now I cant even look at them or think too hard about them without feeling nauseated. Mind you I thought they were absolutely yummy (obviously or I wouldnt have eaten so many). We ate them really ripe and popped the middle out of the skin.

Ah, the irony of making yourself sick from something you loved! Gotta be a life lesson there somewhere.

So, can I ask, when they were ripe, were they squishy, hard, sweet?

weaver

sweet and squishy from memory.

chareaves
    Participant

Hi folks

A number of months ago, many of you played detective for me on some fruit trees. Well, the trees have all gone through summer now, and i can say that most of the guesses were spot on! We ended up pulling out that old apricot and have replaced it. We’ve also bought a bunch more fruit trees.

Now, the original pictures had pic 9 and 10. I and others thought they were both pears. Here they are again:

At the time pic 9 was a bit unknown. It didn’t get any fruit whatsoever. Pic 10 got one pear, which convinced me it was a pear. And while I’ve been pruning, I had a good look at the two trees and realise they look completely different. I actually think pic 10 is a cherry. Since this would mean I only have 1 cherry tree and 1 pear tree, would this explain the complete lack of fruit on either? As in, no other trees to cross-pollinate?

If so, the cherry should be fine cause I bought some more.

The pear…I read (eg. http://www.ashridgetrees.co.uk/Pollination-Pear-Trees) that all pears need to be cross-pollinated, but certain pears need certain other pears to pollinate properly. Since I don’t know which variety my existing pear is, should I just guess which 2nd variety pear tree to buy, and hope for the best? Or are there more scientific methods?

Andre
    Keymaster

A bit belated, but hello and welcome to ALS :wave:

chareaves
    Participant

:tup: No time like the present! Thanks for the welcome Andre.

GreenAussie

Mauzi, could you recommend any other good books on organic gardening and fruit growing? I’m just starting to learn about gardening, so any advice would be appreciated. (I’m also in Tasmania, by the way.)

bluezbandit

Green Aussie: Steve Solomon or Peter Cundall books are made for Tasmanian gardens. Personally I use the Peter Cundall one. I know that Inspirations nursery at Exeter sells the Steve Solomon book.

Take a look here:

http://fimby.com.au/index.php?page=books-we-like

chareaves
    Participant

As well as the Solomon and Cundall books, I’ve found another couple very helpful.

Growing Fruit in Australia by Paul Baxter

Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables the Easy Way (for Aust and NZ) by Readers Digest

Organic Fruit Growing by Annette McFarlane

Organic Vegetable Growing by Annette McFarlane

All these are available from the Tas state library. Hope they help!

GreenAussie

Those look like some good titles — I’ll look them up in the library. Any more good books you guys can think of?

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.