Aussies Living Simply

Another Soap Question

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

I have made a couple of batches of soap this week, I am a first timer I might add.

I have used olive oil, coconut oil, macadamia oil.

My question is about the colour, they are a greeny/brown colour, why aren’t they light in colour like others I have seen? will the colour change as it ages? Doesn’t look attractive at all.:(

What do other people use in their soap recipes?

Thanks Karma

Kirsty

:tup:I have never used macadamia oil so maybe that is whats colouring it :shrug: My basic soap is coconut and olive and its always close to white

Neata

Hi Karma,

I use a very simillar recipe to yours with macadamia oil. i tend to use no more the 25% but only because it’s expensive and so soft. My bars typically start out looking urgly and get better in a few weeks as they get closer to being used. my worst looking soap always turns into grated laudry soap. Hope that helps 😀

The olive oil I used was extra virgin would that have made a difference?

Bump

shadowdancer

if it was cold pressed extra virgin and it was green, then yes. It will stay a grey/green colour! it has no bearing on the quality of the soap however, but it’s not as pretty as the lighter olive oils. If you don’t like the greeny grey colour, next time, when you buy olive oil, buy the yellow one instead.

You may find, that the green olive oils, will retain some of that smell as well. Its difficult to mask it up, but it is good for your skin, so don’t worry about it too much. Good for you for having a crack at making soap. well done! :clap:

Sonya

Seems pomace olive oil is used in soap making… that’s what I buy from my supplier.

Sonya

Is that a brand or special type of olive oil?

shadowdancer

No Karma, it’s olive oil thats chemically extracted instead of pressed from the olives. Its lighter, and still retains the properties of olive oil, but not as much as if it was extra virgin Olive Oil.

Thanks shadowdancer, can this be purchased at the supermarket or do you have to go to soap making suppliers for it?

Neata

Sorry for the delay Karma, i purchase most of my oils from the stupermarket and use the regular yellow coloured olive oil.

shadowdancer

Woolies sell their own brand of Olive Pomace in I think? a 4 litre can. Its perfect for soapmaking and for cooking. The amount of the chemicals left within the olive oil are extremely slim if any apparently, so it’s a cheap way of making soap.

Thanks will have a look.:tup:

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.