Aussies Living Simply

Another sick chook request

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE Backyard livestock Another sick chook request

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    lefty

Hi,

One of my chickens (Chloe) has been sick for a week now and I need some advice.

Her symptoms are gasping (her neck goes up and she opens her mouth wide), sneezing and chirping. She has no discharge, is still eating and drinking but is a bit lethargic.

I have taken her to the vet – who knew little about chicken ailments and she was put on a course of anti-biotics because she didn’t know what else to do for her.

Some internet searching led me to believe she might have a upper respiratory fungal infection – symptoms seem to match, so back to the vet and he suggested she go on a medication for oral thrush.

Fortunately my friendly chemist keeps birds and he did not think I was a too weird purchasing Nilstat for my chicken 😐

Anyway today is the fifth day of combined aniti-biotics and Nilstat and the symptoms are still there. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I really dont like giving her medications but I dont want to see her unwell.

BTW – I have six chickens and none of the others have shown any of the symptoms she has.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

glenda

Hummer

How do you treat them for worms ?

Put some apple cider vinegar in their water & also crushed garlic (at separate times) & see how she goes with that πŸ™‚

lefty

Thanks humbug – I have been a bit slack with the garlic and vinegar lately. Will try that and see how she goes.

Glenda

Gianna

Antibiotics can be hard on them but it was worth a shot. I would give probiotics every day for at least a week. This can just be a good, plain yoghurt with cultures. Manuka honey dissolved in water to drink, a couple of times per day, along with Vitamin C and Cod Liver Oil. Give some little cubes of cooked carrot because they like it. :rol: Some of mine with the same symptoms recovered and others not. Fingers crossed for you and Chloe. :hug:

Hummer

If you keep it up every month, you should have no problems. Try & remember every full moon is garlic the chooks time :tup:

Hummer

Also, make sure you check out if you can eat the eggs.. I think it is recommended not to eat them for 30 days after antibiotics have been consumed.

lefty

Thanks heaps for this info Gianna and Humbug,

I will follow your advice and see how I go. She is our oldest chicken and she is not laying so I dont have any worries about her eggs but thanks for the knowledge…..Glenda

roogz

it sound either like CRD – upper respitory tract infection – this can be either baterial – in that case the antibiotics will work or viral – in which case they wont and the disease will have to run its course.

both can be spread to your other chooks – so if you havent isolated her – that would be my first suggestion.

clean all the litter out of the chook pen if it is CRD – then old litter will spread it.

chooks should recover from CRD if their body weight dosent fall to low. however it waekons the imune system and leaves them open to secondary infections.

like a human gettin broncitis

the other suspect is gape worm, worm that lives in the crop and gullet will cause the above symptoms, its fairly rare, but a double strenth dose of garlic and vinegar – should take care of it.

Roogz

lefty

Hi Roogz,

Thanks for this – I will isolate her to be sure. I read something about gape worm too so the garlic and vinegar is now in their water…..time will tell

Glenda

lefty

Hi Roogz,

Thanks for this – I will isolate her to be sure. I read something about gape worm too so the garlic and vinegar is now in their water…..time will tell

Glenda

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.