Aussies Living Simply

Another reason to buy from your local Farmer's Market

Home Forums OVER THE BACK FENCE General chat and catching up Another reason to buy from your local Farmer's Market

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    baringaparkbaringapark

Australia’s largest producer of small goods has been slapped with a record fine for labeling 100 tonnes of bacon from overseas as “Product of Australia”.

http://afr.com/p/meat_co_mislabels_tonnes_of_bacon_8OvKEmYzJzkPZndmE5bp9K

GiannaGianna

I heard that on the news last night. Very disturbing. :confused:

dixiebelledixiebelle

Naughty, and potentially nasty… good to see them taking labelling issues/ food imports seriously.

weaverweaver

Watched Food Inc :rip:the other day and I am only buying from local reliable sources from now on! Got to love the farmers market.

Anonymous

That makes me want to be sick.

Australia’s conditions are bad enough, but those overseas…..!!!

BobbeeBobbee

Yep! Enough to scare the behoovers out of me!

What else is wrongly labelled we may well ask!!!!!!!!!!

:awch:

dixiebelledixiebelle

Yes, Bobbee, these were just the ones that were caught… hmmm…

ErthgirlErthgirl

That’s absolutely disgusting!

Considering they estimate that only 2% of Danish pork producers feed NON GM stock feed!

The Australian pig meat industry and some chicken meat and dairy processors have indicated they try to avoid using GM rations in stockfeed due to concerns about market acceptance. However, virtually all imported pig meat consumed in Australia, including products imported from Denmark, is likely to be produced using at least some GM stockfeed.

Here’s the link where the above quote came from

http://www.daff.gov.au/agriculture-food/biotechnology/pamphlets/gm_stockfeed_in_australia_economic_issues_for_producers_and_consumers

Anonymous

Working in the food industry (as I do), I get to see some really horrible products come onto the market. These products are not so much ‘cooked’, as they are ‘engineered’ to create a product with a long shelf life (we have lamb shanks in plastic bags that have an 18 month shelf life… this means they can sit on a shelf at room temperature and still be ‘fresh’ 18 months later. What healthy natural process could produce a result like that?)

Cooking fats and oils are a particular horror to me. All ‘vegetable’ oil sold in Australia has 3 potential nasties. 1. GM contamination or deliberate inclusion via canola oil. 2. palm oil from third world countries who cheerfully destroy habitat & forests to plant more oil palms. 3. the structural integrity of the fats and oils at a molecular level are interferred with to create a product that has a longer frying life, has a better ‘mouth feel’ (in other words, they keep adding chemical crap until it tastes better…) has a longer shelf life (lots of added preservatives) etc.

How do you avoid them? Any food produced in a restaurant, cafe, fast food outlet, packaged supermarket foods – biscuits, snack foods etc will have one or all of the above in them. Most fast food is cooked in cottonseed oil or an industrial oil containing cottonseed, which is GM in Australia. All margarines and most other processed fats have been chemically altered and ‘scrubbed’ with bleach, then coloured a nice butter yellow. Yum yum. Why is margarine coloured to look like butter? Because otherwise it would be a naturally brownish green colour.

Soy is a boon to the big food producers because of all the wounderous ways it can be adulterated into our food. It is cheap. It can be interferred with in so many different ways it is an abomination to the intestines. There are web sites dedicated to the horribleness of it. If you want your little boys to grow into little girls or at least have the best man-boobs on the block, feed them lots of processed food and soy ‘milk’.

When I shop I avoid anything with a non-specific label like ‘vegetable’ oil. We don’t eat any soy or canola products. I buy very few processed foods and no ‘fruit juices’ (don’t get me started on them!) Be suspicious of any claim the product is all ‘natural’. Does it go bad or discolour after a few days at room temperature? No? That is not natural.

Have a look at the foods you eat every day. How much industrial food does it have in it? Does your bread or bread-mix contain soy or canola? Welcome to the great GM experiment if it does. What other ‘preservatives’ does it have in it?

Try to cut down on anything processed and put in a packet. It never ceases to amaze me how a food company can take a basic product like a biscuit (flour, sugar, eggs, butter, right?) and turn it into something with a list of additives as long as your arm. The biscuits I make sit in a big jar on the counter and last for weeks without going mouldy, rancid or stale. I doubt they would last for months or years, but commercial biscuits are designed to do exactly this, and way it is achieved it a whole lot of industrial crap added.

I am not a rabid proponent of food miles, as in Australia it does not make a lot of sense and I like mangoes and bananas and wheat too much to go without it, but eating food that is locally grown means you are eating something less likely to be chemically altered to give it longer shelf-life or a better mouth-feel.

If you buy a chicken schnitzel, buy a raw one and cook it in Australian olive oil (which is correctly labelled ‘virgin’, extra-virgin’ etc, unlike the overseas stuff.) Sure you can have some processed food sometimes – we are just a little partial to a certain type of chicken wings and a particulaly Aussie chocolate biscuit, but if you remove as much of the chemically processed food from your diet as you can, you will be doing your health a real flavour. 😉

Now I’ll just get off my high horse and adopt the cowboy’s creed; “Never miss the opportunity to shut-up”

Rob

baringaparkbaringapark

:clap:

GirlFridayGirlFriday

well said Rob6014:clap:

ErthgirlErthgirl

Oh Robbo… you are a champ!! Bravo! Bloody Bravo! :tup::clap::hug:

I feel like copying that and doing a letterbox drop! 😀

BobbeeBobbee

Hey Rob6014 well put. :clap::clap::clap:

But 🙁 🙁 🙁 because saying it is necessary.

:hug:

mum2twinsmum2twins

Woot Woot Rob!!!

Now just gotta get me a thermomix to make more of mu own stuff

MumchookMumchook

Thanks E, and also Rob – well said.

We all need, as much as we possibly and humanly can, to vote with our feet and our wallets and simply NOT buy dodgy and possible dodgy products. That’s difficult to do without a whole lot of time and research but time well spent, I reckon.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.