Aussies Living Simply

An odd year for alliums

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE Vegetables An odd year for alliums

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Mukluk
    Participant

Has anyone else had a strange year as far as alliums go?

My perennial leeks flower most years but have only once produced any seed, this year they look as though a few will produce viable seed again.

Judy B’s triffid shallots flower each year for me but never produce any seed. This year I have a dozen or so good looking seeds. One flower head even produced a small bulbil, kind of like how tree onions form bulbils. I plan on planting this seed when the weather cools down a bit and see what comes out of it.

My brown potato onions flowered this year for the first time ever (my white potato onions are still refusing to flower and I fear that they don’t have it in them). It looks as though I should end up with a small number of actual seeds from them. I have been hoping they would flower for a while now and am very excited about this. Seed grown potato onions (from what I have been told) show a lot of diversity and vigor. Apparently they have an amazing mix of genes hidden in there.

Is anyone else experiencing peculiarities with their alliums like this?

earthwalker
    Participant

I think it’s an odd year for everything….I have flowers on my spring onions, which usually never happens, my garlic is performing quite poorly. The only success stories in our garden seem to be the spring onions, potato plants and some “volunteer” pumpkins.

Steve
    Keymaster

My triffids were nearly wiped out by aphids a month or so ago. I rescued one small clump and have them going again but the others all died.

Mukluk
    Participant

Unfortunately none of the potato onion’s seeds have germinated.  Some seeds looked plump and viable so it may have been my fault they did not germinate.  I
    didn’t plant them all so can have another shot in early Spring.  We need more potato onion varieties in Australia.

So far I have 6 tiny seedlings from Judy B’s triffid shallots and perhaps more that are slower to germinate.  Again I have some seed left over and plan to plant them in Spring.  The seedlings all look healthy enough and I am keen to see what they develop into.  They will all be genetically different from the parent stock and from each other. 

I am wondering if the triffids are actually a large and non-bulbing form of potato onion.  I know someone who grew out some potato onion seeds and some turned out very similar to these triffids.

Steve
    Keymaster

I think the triffids are a Welsh Onion. Not sure how these compare to potato onions though.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.