Aussies Living Simply

Alpaca's, chooks and sheep

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE Backyard livestock Alpaca's, chooks and sheep

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Hayley

Only just over a week till we start the move onto our little farm; bought some sheep today (wiltshire polls) – 4 ewes and a ram. Got lots of great info from the breeder; also saw her alpacas which she gave rave reviews.

So we’ve decided to get a pair of herd guardians by the end of autumn, ready for lambing in spring.

The breeder also mentioned alpaca’s are great guardians for chooks as well. Has anyone experienced this?

We were wondering if we could put the sheep, chooks and alpaca’s in the one paddock at a time (with regular paddock rotation); which would make looking after the animals easier as they are all in one spot – no need to go traipsing round the farm to check all the separate areas.

Are sheep and chooks compatible? Would the chooks get trampled? Paddocks are all about 1 acre size. And down the track……geese and ducks???

Franceyne

Hi Hayley, your sheep and chooks can coexist. They sheep won’t trample the chooks and even if your ram gets a little protective the chooks will soon get out of his way 🙂 I promise their antics will keep a smile on your face and a giggle constantly just beneath the surface! Enjoy!

Hayley

Thanks Fran, thats great to know; can I ask what your set-up is? Do you lock the chooks up at night in the paddock with the sheep? Do you have a movable cage for the chooks?

Franceyne

I no longer have any animals, but the chook house and yard was separate, but they could free range into the sheep paddock.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.