Aussies Living Simply

Aloe vera uses

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    GreenAussieGreenAussie

I see what you mean, porgey 🙂 . I grew up in the United States, where everyone said “mom”, and I guess I haven’t been able to break the habit, even though Australia is my home now.

SteveSteve
    Keymaster

I started with one little aloe vera plant in the garden years ago. Now it has taken over that part of the garden. It is growing in fairly heavy shade (under a lemon tree and passionfruit vine)and hasn’t looked back.

I haven’t worried about it as it stops other weeds coming up and I don’t have a big bare spot under the tree.

We have used it a few times on sunburn (also used cold black tea which also gives relief to sunburn).

AnjaAnja

I grow it indoors very successfully. If it’s in full sun, the leaves can turn brownish instead of staying green.

It’s great for insect bites or any sort of itchy rash as well. I get about 4 hours relief from mozzie bites after applying fresh gel, staight from the plant..

porgeyporgey

GreenAussie post=314005 wrote: I see what you mean, porgey 🙂 . I grew up in the United States, where everyone said “mom”, and I guess I haven’t been able to break the habit, even though Australia is my home now.

I dont mean any offence at all and its quite understandable. Hope you are enjoying your new home in Oz, and there is an Australian O for you. Cheers porgey.

evhcreativeevhcreative

I’m wondering an odd thing.. Has anyone tried to combine it with other herbs, ie Tea Tree Oil or any fresh herbs, like mint?

I’ve only tried with a little Calendula and Lavender Oil and froze it in an ice tray. But I guess I’d like to have something that will keep as well.. these little block evaporated after a couple weeks.

We have so much of it in our yard and really should start using it.

Thoughts, Ideas?

Thanks!!

mossymossy

jrose6 post=312153 wrote: Has anyone used aloe vera in some fresh form for eczema in vey young children? Any nasty side effects?

I find aloe is good for me at that point where the skin is dry and at risk of becoming eczema. But when its full blown eczema calendula and chickweed (stellaria media) are the best herbs to use. Chickweed in particular as it has anti-itching properties as well as being soothing to the skin.

Aloe vera is one of the few things I have success growing here, I have so many pots of it because the pups just seem to multiply constantly. I use it mostly for sunburn. It works wonders.

kiracasperkiracasper

I love aloe vera too! the reason the bit under the skin is irritating to a lot of people is because this part (aloin, i think?) is actually toxic so avoid it, it is also the reason why home made aloe vera juice is not reccomended, however most commercial aloe vera products (gels e.t.c) have a nasty preservative in them and I wouldn’t use them, fresh plant all the way here too!

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.