Aussies Living Simply

Aloe vera uses

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    busylizziebusylizzie
    Participant

I have been given an Aloe Vera plant (pup) and would like to know what uses you have used it for. Have googled and seen all the different things that it can be used for but would like some feedback from all you lovely people who have tried and tested it.

Thanks

Lizzie 🙂

GrethGreth

Having recently read Tylers ‘Honest Herbal’ which is a great summary of the herbal treatments available, their proven uses and side effects, aloe vera comes out tops.

It really does work for minor injuries and burns, doesn’t have any side effects.

Tyler looks at the scientific research, as well as popular ideas, and he isn’t kind to most herbal treatments. Aloe vera is an exception and gets a +++ from him.

Interestingly the active ingredient does not process well at all, so aloe vera creams and lotions do not have the same effect as the natural plant. Tyler seems very skeptical about even the most expensive products which claim to have active aloe vera extract. So grow the plant, don’t buy the cream. I encourage my children to use it for all those scraped knees, etc, which aren’t bandaid worthy.

So just break a leaf and smear the gel on the ‘hurtie’ and all should be well.

veginoutveginout

If you are ingesting it, don’t use the sap just under the skin unless you need a bitter laxative. Wish I had read Isabel Shipard’s book before I tried it :S http://www.herbsarespecial.com.au/free-herb-information/aloe-vera.html

Hummer HumbugHummer
    Keymaster

I have put aloe vera gel from the plant on my teenagers severe sunburn. It had a tremendous effect.. there was no blistering and no peeling. And as already has been said, it does wonders on cuts and abrasions too.. it has a lovely soothing effect.

There is so many fabulous reasons to grow this plant.. I have lots of them in pots, I love it!

Be aware that the yellow juice just below the skin will stain.

fruitfulfruitful

Hi there BuzyLizzie,

I’ve just worked out some really cool things with aloe, mostly inspired by Isabell Shippards book on self sufficiency. I cut a leaf and let it drain on the sink for about half an hour to allow that not so good bit from just under the skin leech out. I then place the leaf into a container of water and put that in my ensuite(change the water daily) and I slice a thin layer off to use instead of toothpaste, simply cut away the outer skin and the remaining flesh goes onto the toothbrush. I chop up the flesh a bit, using my knife at an angle and chop along the length of flesh first from one side and then at an opposite angle back along to break up the flesh so you don’t end up pushing a lump of aloe around your mouth.

I have also discovered that it is great to use as a moisturiser on my lips, when applied morning and night it prevents dried chapped lips. I’ve also replaced my eye cream with aloe. I cut the thinnest layer and after cutting the outer skin away just smear the flesh over my lips and around my eyes. You always end up with the flesh left over but the slimy aloe gel leaves skin soft and silky smooth.

As Greth says it is great on all sorts of cuts etc, our cat recently nearly died from a boil on the inside of her back leg, we took her to the vets when we took our dogs for their vaccinations and the vet recommended that we book her in for emergency surgery which would cost about $450. we declined of course and he gave her some pain relief and antibiotics. When we got her home I covered a gauze cloth with strips of aloe vera flesh and managed to bandage her leg – only due to the pain relief from the vet – and the next day the swelling had gone, all the puss was drained and we could see clearly the 5cent size hole in her leg and the surrounding area which was devoid of living tissue. I now put some aloe flesh in water to soak overnight in the fridge and the water is put into a spray bottle and sprayed onto her wound as often as we can, it is healing nicely.

Will watch this thread with interest as I too would like to know of other uses for Aloe Vera.

bushybushy

Amazing treatment for burns including sunburn

GrethGreth

The active ingredient, could tell you what it is if I could be bothered to walk to the bookshelf, which I can’t at the moment, actually increases the growth of healing cells, has been shown in vitro, but it isn’t very stable in processed extracts.

kerriebkerrieb

Buzylizzie

Do you get frosts there? You might want to put it under cover. I’ve killed a few aloe vera plants either due to frost or cold wet feet in the winter (they rot).

Ditto on the it’s nice for sunburn. But avoid the green sap under the skin if your skin is a bit fussy It’s a little irritating for me.

jrose6jrose6

Has anyone used aloe vera in some fresh form for eczema in vey young children? Any nasty side effects?

GrethGreth

Tyler seems pretty certain that it is safe to use, whether it would help with eczema I don’t know, the benefits are mostly connected with wound healing, also antibacterial and antifungal.

kerriebkerrieb

I tried it on my adult eczema the green sap I’d avoid but otherwise didn’t bother me. However, I didn’t notice any improvement either.

karyn26karyn26

There are many varieties of the aloe plant ,do all have the same healing properties or only a specific one.

I do have some aloe growing up the front.

GreenAussieGreenAussie

For eczema, my mom used a wonderful cream called Calendulis Plus cream (it’s a natural cream that includes calendula herb… great for eczema), which worked when nothing else would. My mom had eczema for years around her eyes and tried lots of things, including the steroid based creams her doctors prescribed, but nothing helped. The Calendulis Plus cream worked wonders, though. After applying it 2-3 times a day for awhile, the eczema completely cleared up.

I have also heard of Kuush, an Australian brand. My mom has never tried this one, but it is supposedly effective also.

GreenAussieGreenAussie

For aloe, use the species called “aloe barbadensis miller”. There are many species of aloe, but aloe barbadensis miller is the best to use both internally and externally.

Be careful not to use aloe on your skin too often. It is a wonderful plant that’s great for the skin (especially sunburn), but long-term use can dry out the skin a little.

porgeyporgey

GreenAussie post=313997 wrote: For eczema, my mom

My mom

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah. Green Aussie there is no O in MUM or in Aussie.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.