Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Allan Savory: How to green the world's deserts and reverse climate change

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE Soils, Weeds and Wind Breaks Allan Savory: How to green the world's deserts and reverse climate change

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    BullseyeBullseye

Allan Savory: How to green the world’s deserts and reverse climate change

Award-winning biologist Allan Savory says he grew up believing – as many others do – that grazing animals are the primary cause of desertification, a view that was only reinforced when he studied at university.

“We know that desertification is caused by livestock, mostly cattle sheep and goats, overgrazing the plants, leaving the soil bare and giving off methane. Almost everybody knows this, from Nobel Laureates to golf caddies, or were taught it, like I was,” he states.

“Well I have news for you. We were once just as certain that the world was flat. We were wrong then and we are wrong again.”

When he began looking at research plots and national parks in his native Zimbabwe and in the United States where cattle had been removed to prevent desertification, he found that the opposite was happening.

In this video, he explains how he independently arrived at the conclusion that not only are livestock not responsible for desertification and climate change, but that they are also an integral part of the solution.

“We can work with nature at very low cost to reverse all of this,” he explains. “We can take enough carbon out of the atmosphere and safely store it in the grassland soils for thousands of years, and if we just do that on about half of the world’s grasslands, we can take us back to pre-industrial levels while feeding people.”

“I can think of almost nothing that offers more hope for our planet, for your children and their children and all of humanity.”

BobbeeBobbee

Glory hallelujah!!!!!!! :clap: :clap:

You wonderful man Bullseye, thankyou. At last some positivity, some HOPE!!!! :kiss:

A fantastic dvd. I love it.

Is that similar to what you have been doing with your cattle? I seem to remember you showing us pics and giving the info on the process you are/were using.

It also reminds me strongly of the fellow who works or worked, at bringing land back to fruitfulness by planting grasses and shrubs and trees (I think). :blush:

:hug: :hug: :hug:

SnagsSnags

Sorry about being a cynical dark cloud.

Criticism from Wiki

Studies have suggested that while rotational grazing can have a positive ecological effect on land that is not tilled, leading to increased soil quality and system diversity,experiments conducted on tilled grazed land have not found rotational grazing to lead to superior ecological and economical benefits when compared to continuous grazing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allan_Savory

I understand the concept of add fertiliser and a “little” pruning equals growth (with water)

Desertification isnt just caused by over grazing, salinity from irrigation, land clearing and industrial agriculture with grasses (wheat) plays a large part too.

Growing more beef to feed more people doesnt sound like a logical solution,when the clearing of the Amazon is mainly to provide grasslands to either grow more beef or soy to feed an already hungry and growing global population.

Greening deserts may help, were we create greenery and carbon sinks were they dont exist now but not in the Israeli model were you tap into ground water and use it unsustainably.

A few swales, some mulch and some hardy plants can do wonders though.

Greening the Desert

BullseyeBullseye

Bobbee I use a different method, strip grazing, for managed grazing.

Snags, the principal of the system Savory discusses is no tillage of the soil of particular ecosystems, that studies do support the environmental improvement. That’s what the first sentence of the “criticism” you quoted states “Studies have suggested that while rotational grazing can have a positive ecological effect on land that is not tilled, leading to increased soil quality and system diversity”.

Savory draws a distinction between the regions “his” system applies to and the wet humid tropical regions such as the amazon rainforests that you mention cleared for grazing.

Savory is not advocating the clearing of the likes of amazon rainforests, not advocating clearing of any kind for beef production.

He also rightfully indicates that this system is to be utilised on specific ecosystems. Those are once grasslands that evolved with large numbers of grazing animals, that have been degraded.

At the link you quoted Savory was a “winner of the 2003 Banksia International Award and the 2010 Buckminster Fuller Challenge”. Not bad.

SnagsSnags

so is he trying to green deserts or pastures ?

BullseyeBullseye

Hey Snags, maybe you should watch the video again or for first time! 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.