Aussies Living Simply

Advice on how and where to look for future acerage

Home Forums SUSTAINABLE COMMUNITIES Community Activism and Self Nurturing Communities Advice on how and where to look for future acerage

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Michael1973

Hi all

I am chasing some advice on where and how to look for a few acres of land with a view to developing it as a BOL / sustainable small farm.

I live in suburban Caboolture on 1/4 acre and i have the space to grow a lot of food plus my chookies. My concern is that if society continues down the sewer i am not located in a good place. We have several plusses here in that i have tank water and a few big veg gardens plus established fruit tress and a cracker of a chook pen set up. We are also well placed for work commutes. I am very concerned though that i live with a very low socioeconomic area literally a few streets away. If things do go pear shaped in the future this will not be a good or safe place to be.

I want to look around for a few undeveloped acres somewhere in the sunshine coast hinterland that i could go to on weekends and slowy bring up to speed with establishment of livestock and food production and then an off grid dwelling. Like most people i am in no way rich and websites like RE.com dont seem to cater for this sort of search.

I am looking to develop a block of land so that if the SHTF i can load up the vehicles and retreat to with the wife if i have to. If the SDHTF then i will in a few years have something i could viably move to and sell up where i am. Would anyone have any advice on places to look for cheap land from 3 acres up?

bushy

This question is a bit like the one about how long is a piece of string?

It just depends on what you call cheap Michael, anywhere along the east cost is expensive…that is if its within half hour of big town, has views or has good soil.

Unfortunately in realestate, you get what you pay for, if it seems cheap, there will be a reason. A good example is along the coast many areas are acid sulphate affected soils…useless for anything but grazing.

Having a block of land away from your home has many drawbacks, hard to manage animals, need to water plants and theft/vandalism. Also means paying two lots of rates.

My advice would be to try and find a block to live on and commute.

Good luck

Anonymous

g’day michael,

there may be some help in our “rural living dreams” essay:

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/your_land_baron_dreams.html

a good criteria list will keep you on track, keep your head switched and not your heart.

land anywhere near what is called the sunshine coast hinterland is going to be expensive, and also plagued by ticks. also keep in mind as you search the dot com sites that the bottom is falling out of the market, sad for those who trod where angels fear to tread and paid too much but that is real estate life, we just went through it not to bad because we are always prepared to walk away on price.

currently for 1.25 to 3+ acre blocks glenwood and bauple are about the best price so long as you deal, they all are over priced and not reflective of the current market would suggest you target no matter where you look is to have a bid that is around 20% to 30% below the ask accepted. don’t be shy.

do you homework online in the real estate sites, and always be prepared to walk away, prices can magically drop as most times the agent won’t want to lose a sale. there is lots of land for sale the reason most want to be nearer the fun. and some of the land has been on sale for years so they are very stale.

don’t buy a view, don’t buy too steep keep it around 6%, look for good quality grass growth, that is a good indicator of soil quality.

a couple of up high app’ 1.25acres each soil not too bad asking $80k a good offer would be around $57k but pay no more than $60k with a little plus margin, for now dirt road in good condition but shire plans to seal as the locals told me.

i’m with you pear shape is very much more likely.

happy land hunting

len

GirlFriday

Anything on RE.com that says ‘lifestyle’ block means that it is either too steep for anything but trees, really scrubby or heavily treed. Learnt that the hard way when deciphering Agent talk (I swear they all take some sort of chemicals to make them so optimistic!! Looked at one ‘renovator’s delight’ that was more of a knock it down and start again affair).

There are many other sites other than RE.com that sell land- perhaps Google ‘for sale by owner’. There is one site I came across in my web wanderings that lists eco friendly homes but it is REALLY out of date. The house listed we saw though was PERFECT!! (Straw bale/ composting loo/ solar everything etc)

dianne
    Participant

also if you find somewhere you like, make sure to check with your council about what the land is zoned as. you might find that it is bush beause you cant clear it, at all. We nearly learnt that one the hard way.

dianne
    Participant

sorry, for off topic…

gardenlen post=327896 wrote: g’day michael,

currently for 1.25 to 3+ acre blocks glenwood and bauple are about the best price so long as you deal, they all are over priced and not reflective of the current market would suggest you target no matter where you look is to have a bid that is around 20% to 30% below the ask accepted. don’t be shy.

len

thankyou for that, I have been looking at a place (way over priced)at $700000 and been trying to convince myself that around $575000 to $600000 is fair to offer. Acording to this it is way fair and worth a try, thankyou.

*highjack over* :whistle:

calliecat
    Participant

dianne post=327909 wrote: sorry, for off topic…

g’day michael,

len

thankyou for that, I have been looking at a place (way over priced)at $700000 and been trying to convince myself that around $575000 to $600000 is fair to offer. Acording to this it is way fair and worth a try, thankyou.

*highjack over* :whistle:

:blink: blimey, – my four acres is only $230 neg

dianne
    Participant

:laugh: this one has three figurs in the acres

calliecat
    Participant

dianne post=327911 wrote: :laugh: this one has three figurs in the acres

oops :blush: lol

Anonymous

g’day dianne,

they are big figures if i read them right .5 to .75 million dollars is that right and how much acreage are we talking? and is their a house involved or bare ground?

yes R/E takes lots of liberties and almost all cannot be totally trusted, so best to know what you want and not listen to R/E, and also private sales may not guarantee high integrity, after all anyone selling now is doing so on a falling market. still say 20-30% discount offer would be more than fair.

if the buyer is not turned on in the head then real estate will sell you anything, they give big wraps to properties owned by people they may know. seen it many times those who buy with the heart, getting caught badly then being forced to sell because of that decision often at the wrong time of the market.

we’ve been there done that many times now.

oh! meant to say before whether lower socio economic area or not when the masses bellies are running on empty and their throats are parched, like the fauna we displace they will do anything to stay alive. and a castle and moat is out of the question.

also their is “due diligence” nowadays you only need add that clause on your contract before getting you legal eagle to eye it before you sign. due diligence allows you lots and lots of options to back out eg.,. you go for at least 21 days to unconditional (don’t be shy to ask for an extension though) in that time you want to have absolutely all searches etc.,. done, most important nowadays your building site and septic system soil tests. you do not necessarily ahve to install an expensive home sewerage system, ask the geo’ engineer to plan a septic system.

but if the soil test shows that to build and do toilet is very expensive you can then use due diligence to withdraw or negotiate if the vendor is agreeable.

len

dianne
    Participant

gardenlen post=327913 wrote: g’day dianne,

they are big figures if i read them right .5 to .75 million dollars is that right and how much acreage are we talking? and is their a house involved or bare ground?

len

big numbers I know. its just over 110 acres with 4 bed house, shed, two bores, coulpe paddocks, fenced ect. it was about $50 000 overpriced when first put on market and that was nearly a year ago, so thats way I figured between the overprice, the time it has been for sale and the slump somewhere between 550 000 and 600 000 was a good offer.

Anonymous

ok dianne,

yep i would be anticipating in a falling market to peg the price closer to 500k, don’t over value infrastructure they have gained benefit already from its use, and often infrastructure might be not quiet where you would like it placed, so you get the need to work around it.

with that sort of land you graze cattle and keep most of us in meat hey lol.

land that size is great if it is in your reach.

do your criteria make sure the heart is disengaged and the head is in gear.

keep us informed

len

dianne
    Participant

:ohmy: gosh, I wouldnt have thought 500 000. I was thinking 550 was maybe on the lowest to offer. and yes, plan is to run some cattle, not that many thought :laugh: manily just to surply family. and room for DD to have horse also as well as a small commerial orchard and market gardens.

Have been looking for about 5 years now and have done the hole fall in love with a place thing and now look at it as a bussiness type deal which helps, also have the check list of things we wont so if it dosnt tick boxes we move on even if I really like it. That being said,once it ticks boxes it then has to tug at the heart strings too as I cant spend the reat of my life in a place I dont like, but it must fill wonts first. hopfully I can get my DH to agree to go look at it, he still thinks we would have to be paying over 600 and that is too much. Dont worry, you will know all about it if we finally get a place. :laugh:

Anonymous

don’t forget this new coal mining fever of our state gov’ not only ours. get it checked out full, all land from regional ipswich through sunshine coast up the tablelands has been plotted they know here the coal or seam gas is and landholders really don’t have a lot of rights, you after all only pay rates and own the dirt you grass grows on under that belongs to the state gov’.

not many sellers or agents will want to be talking or telling about that.

sadly the miners and the gov have nothing set in cement so to speak so you can’t really be sure one way or the other.

going by some reports if they go seam gas they could contaminate the aquafa for quiet a way.

good luck in the search and bid

len

Michael1973

Wow, huge amount of excellent info there guys and girls. Thanks heaps for the replies. Too much to thank individuals. I will be doing some research and planning based on what i have gained here. There is a lot of stuff to think about that i hadnt even considered. Now to go away and start doing my homework.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.