Aussies Living Simply

Advice from a Domestic Goddess (Pt 2)

Home Forums OVER THE BACK FENCE General chat and catching up Advice from a Domestic Goddess (Pt 2)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    porgeyporgey

Hey chicksters, I hope you are all well and enjoying the not so hot autumn weather. Following on from my previous thread about domestics I have a Pyrex oven dish that, until last week, hasn’t been near the sink for about two years and it desperately needs a clean. As glass is not porous this little gem of a piece of glassware has layers of caked on olive oil and vegie scraps so thick it has actually reduced its holding capacity. I kid you not.

I have tried everything, oversoaped & repeated dishwashing, repeated handwashing until the brush clogged up & broke, long hot soaks in the sink and its now outside in the vain hope that a hungary fox will latch his canines onto it and give it a scrape. Its a great part of my kitchen equipment and was only $2 from the oppshop so its all part of my frugal approach to living and I would like to keep it.

Any of you Domestic Goddess’ got any advice I would love you to post it for me. Dont be appauld at my lack of kitchen hygeine as I have often used it without any ill effects, that I know of!!

Thanking you in advance, cheers porgey.

IdunaIduna

Gumption multi-perpose cleaner with one of those green scourers. You will still need elbow grease but it works a treat. It’s even good for cleaning the glass on the inside of your oven.

bluezbanditbluezbandit

Nasty but effective: caustic soda mixed into a paste with water and plastered on and left overnight. Use rubber gloves when dealing with caustic.

Deb

marzmarz

Good old steelo is great on glass dishes – I do mine occasionally with it epecially around the handles and edges.

PS We’re all a bit guilty of ‘quick’ washups sometimes 😀

urban-wombaturban-wombat

Pyrex is funny stuff if it was like other glass you could ask your local potter if they would heat it up in the kiln and burn off all the gunk.. the only problem is Pyrex is vacuum annealed…so that’s out..if it’s that bad…you could try sand blasting 😀 that’s if you can put up with the matt surface:lol:

Col.

Support people who have the hygiene standards of medieval peasants:)

MagpieMagpie

My two cents……put it in an airtight bag with a cup of cloudy ammonia – and just leave it for a few days, or even a week. The crud should wipe off, if not you may need to leave it for longer.

I do this with my oven racks and even the worst baked on stuff come off.

Hope you enjoy your sparkling clean “new” dish!!

porgeyporgey

Thanks all for the advice. Iduna, the old cheese used to use gumption so I will have to see if she has any. Where do you get elbow grease from!! 😀

Bluezbandit, caustic soda sounds like a good idea if the the gumption & elbow grease fails.

Marz, I have just bought some stainless scourers so may try them when I have finished washing up from Christmas.

Col, I think sand blasting is a bit of the question but hopefully the local foxes will take to it. And there was nothing wrong with the medieval peasents but upon reflection I do feel a bit like Bauldrick.

Thanks as well Magpie, I wont need any elbow grease!!

Thanks all and please keep the advice & comments coming. Cheers porgey.

urban-wombaturban-wombat

Bauldrick… My Hero!

ChezzaChezza
    Participant

I like to use Jiff on my pyrex when I feel it needs it to be clean and clear… Those layers of baked on ??? do in the end get the better of me…

GiannaGianna

I’d put it in a caustic soda bath too. 😉

NexNex

Get it wet…sprinkle with a layer of dishwasher powder. leave it sit overnight. Scrub next day…repeat as necessary. (do not use this method on aluminium)

LeecyLeecy

I’d sandblast it, then soak it, then bleach it, then scrub it, then soak it, then sandblast it, then bleach it, and wash it, then give it back to the op shop…

is it really that bad?

GiannaGianna

Leecy wrote:

I’d sandblast it, then soak it, then bleach it, then scrub it, then soak it, then sandblast it, then bleach it, and wash it, then give it back to the op shop…

is it really that bad?

:lol::lol::lol:

kerriebkerrieb

Personally if it is that bad I couldn’t be bothered rescuing it. However in the interests of fully investigating your cleaning options. I’ve included a link to some of the methods used for cleaning glassware in the lab. Many of which I have used. I’ve just about always thrown out glassware I couldn’t clean with concentrated acid or a base bath. I wouldn’t recommend you even try these two options at home. Their even more aggressive treatments will probably earn you a quick trip to hospital.

http://chem.chem.rochester.edu/~nvd/cleaningglassware.html

Kerrie

gnolgnol

Sodium percarbonate works well for stains.

This is the active ingredient in NappiSan type cleaners

Make a mix and let it soak in that. Works wonders.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.