Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Adrenal fatigue….

Home Forums HOMEMADE Natural Remedies and Health Support Adrenal fatigue….

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    JessiebeanJessiebean

Has anyone successfully treated adrenal fatigue using supplements? I am interested to know what you used if you have!

ApplebeeApplebee

Hi Jessiebean,

I had severe adrenal fatigue and it took a naturopath to diagnose it. I was given heaps of supplements but the things that I saw as the core to my recovery were quite a few months on Gotu Kola, and when I was strong enough I then started Kelp which was

very significant in stabilising me.

I would highly recommend a couple of visits to a naturopath initially to help you through the initial what might be severe detox period for the first few weeks. I became very unwell and quite scary, then later that day I passed what could only be described as very thick black tar !! After that things began to improve.

I am not sure what other supplements/vitamins I took initially supported me through

this process so if you are very unwell don’t do anything till you have some confidence in the people you work with. I didn’t take any defined detox product as such or follow a detox diet, other than what I knew my body was and wasn’t liking.

I had my TSH thyroid blood tested about 2 weeks after I began the treatment and it was borderline on the low side. Dr. said normal, nothing to be done. :ohmy: I found certain things were dipping me into low function, especially, SOY, as it has a tendency to lower thyroid function (you can research this).

I was making heaps and heaps of soy yoghurt, used soy milk for everything, especially cooking etc. I now have a dessertspoon of yoghurt a couple of times a week after months of no SOY at all. My recent tests have me up away from low function but still far below what naturopaths might call a healthy level.

The naturopath had me hold my finger nails up in front of me. They should have been nice and rounded as you look at the ends, but they were very flat .. a very good indication. Looking at them now only one has a little hint of flatness *yeah*.

The naturopath also said that the system shuts down, in the brain, then in the thyroid, then in the adrenals .. and recovery is about getting the adrenals working, then the thyroid, then the glands or whatever in the brain.

Adrenal fatigue is a horrible horrible place to be so hang in and Believe you can recover.

I am going away for a few weeks but will look in when I return.

regards

Applebee

porgeyporgey

Hi Jessiebean, AF is a bit of bugger but the first thing you have to identify and resolve is the cause(s). Many things contribute to it and eating well, light/moderate exercise & lowering stress all help. In addition eliminating stimulants, such as caffeine, is also important as whilst they give you an immediate/short term boost they are exhausting in the longer term. Putting you feet up and getting good rest & sleep is crucial as well.

There are quite few natural supplements that help but without tackling the causes you are not really addressing the underlying problem. However, having said that we all live in a world with lots/to many demands so some treatments can help.

There is the B group of vitamins that can help, particularly B12. Herbs such as Glycyrrhiza glabra (licorice root), Panax quinquinifolium (American Ginseng), Withania somnifera etc (Sp?), can assist.

My suggestion is to go and see a good registered natural therapist and not to rely on health food shop employees, advertistments, and yes online sites like this where there is no personal connection.

Your health is really important so see someone properly trained who can sit down and work out the best treatment plan.

JessiebeanJessiebean

Thanks for all your advice there, we will try to get the lifetsyle aspects and basic nutritional support under some semblence of control and then head on to see a natropath I think. I have some training in naturopathy so I feel reasonably confident with some of the more basic aspects and will encourage my poor husband (who is suffering worse than I ) to do the same…

BronBron

I haven’t had it (no idea what it is) but any illness/condition like that, I’d suggest sugar free and the paleo diet for leptin resistance (on his blog, Jack Kruse says that thryoid conditions can be due to this). Quite an interesting read.

http://jackkruse.com/category/leptin/

Forest RavenForest Raven

Hi Jessiebean,

I wondered why you had been quiet! I have no idea what adrenal fatigue is (but may google it in a moment!), but I have suffered some sort of fatigue for many years now. Have radically improved things too, eliminating stress etc. I find eliminating sugar (completely – a smidgen will have you craving more after you detox) is great, but have low will power on that addiction! I also have an onion/garlic intolerance which seems to be the main culprit for me. Enough about me hey?…

I have been told that Inga Kaiser (18 Brougham St, Launceston – 6334 5818) is an EXCELLENT naturopath, hence I’ve kept her details. Haven’t been there myself though. And rumoured to be extremely reasonably priced and offers concessions if you’re eligible.

http://www.ntpages.com.au/therapist/6383

Also, for really low energy days I pop a Co-enzyme Q10 supplement lozenge, seems to give me an immediate energy boost!

Good luck!

JessiebeanJessiebean

Thanks for that, I have been kind of quiet and scattered so please don’t think poorly of me for not replying to posts and PMs (I just remembered another one I need to reply to… let see if I can keep that remembered for now!)

ApplebeeApplebee

and just for the music, this helps the energy levels rise 🙂

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZThJEzdzqo&feature=related

bye

Applebee (off to play with dolphins and whales )

bushybushy

For those who don’t know what adrenal fatigue is………………

Adrenal fatigueFrom Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaJump to: navigation, search

Adrenal fatigue or hypoadrenia is a term used in alternative medicine to describe the belief that the adrenal glands are exhausted and unable to produce adequate quantities of hormones, primarily cortisol. The term “adrenal fatigue” may be applied to a collection of medically unexplained symptoms, but there is no scientific evidence supporting the concept of “adrenal fatigue” and it is not recognized as an actual diagnosis by the medical community.[1] This is distinct from recognized forms of adrenal dysfunction such as adrenal insufficiency or Addison’s Disease.[2]

Blood testing is sometimes offered by alternative medical practitioners to diagnose “adrenal fatigue”, but these tests lack any scientific basis.[1] The concept of “adrenal fatigue” has given rise to an industry of dietary supplements marketed to treat this condition. These supplements are largely unregulated in the U.S., are not thought to be effective, and in some cases may be dangerous.[

ApplebeeApplebee

and in some case save your life

JessiebeanJessiebean

Subclinical adrenal exhuastion doesn’t make it any less valid as a diagnosis but it is one that conventional doctors are no longer trained to recognise for a variety of reasons none of them relating to the condition ceasing to exist in the last 50 years. Doctors used to recognise it and treat it readily. Just remember that Doctors are not really trained to deal with people who aren’t displaying pathological extremes that can be treated with physical intervention or pharmaceuticals.

uglybettyuglybetty

Yes, I have suffered this for 17 years. Health begins in the gut. I suggest you look into GAPS (Gut and Psychology Syndrome) This regime is healing me. I am in for the long haul. The intro. is not easy, but thank the Goddess, I have energy again and can actually think straight.

Bright Blesings

Bette

xo

JessiebeanJessiebean

Knowing nothing about the Syndrome except for the name it already sounds like it will ring true for me (I suffered IBS for years and when I got rid of my useless ex partner I lost the IBS too not to mention that “great” habit I had as a child f throwing up whenever I got excited!) so I will go look into GAPS right now!

porgeyporgey

uglybetty post=326003 wrote: Health begins in the gut.

Bright Blesings

Bette

xo

Its so true. “you are what you eat” is the old saying but dont forget Buddhas wise words.

Forest RavenForest Raven

What were Buddha’s words?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.