Aussies Living Simply

Adelaide: Oranges

Home Forums OVER THE BACK FENCE To Give Away Adelaide: Oranges

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    RavykRavyk

My grandmother’s neighbour has a orange tree full of oranges which are never picked. We have permission to take as many as we need/want. My original plan was to juice them and freeze but have since learnt freezing the juice doesn’t always work very well.

If anyone would like any, let me know. I’m in the Aberfoyle Park area.

GKindredGKindred

Depending on why you are freezing as to whether or not it works well 😉

I have three things you can do with them.

#1 – Juice and freeze the juice in 600ml/1.25L/2L soft drink bottles.

Once frozen, remove from the freezer and up end the bottle into a similar container.

Orange juice will defrost before water.

Repeating this process will yield you Orange Juice Concentrate.

#2 – Make orange oil from the rinds. Great cleaning product.

#3 – Make orange zest powder from the rinds and store. Great for seasoning or flavouring.

RavykRavyk

Basically I just wanted to freeze the juice so we could pull it out, defrost it and drink it. But from what I read it doesn’t really work.

calliecatcalliecat
    Participant

no it doesn’t, it was explained to me one time,

can’t remember the specific details, but enough for me not to freeze orange juice for long term

it does something to the juice that can make you ill

IdunaIduna

Candied orange peal dipped in chocolate…. mmmmmmmm

calliecatcalliecat
    Participant

whole orange cake

GKindredGKindred

calliecat post=341174 wrote: no it doesn’t, it was explained to me one time,

can’t remember the specific details, but enough for me not to freeze orange juice for long term

Not sure if that was directed to me…

But when you make orange juice concentrate, you are only freezing long enough to crystallize (freeze).

Once it is frozen, you then let it defrost.

Orange juice defrosts quicker than water and thus leaving you with concentrated orange juice.

Repeating this process increases the concentration as you are removing as much of the water as possible.

Once you have the amount of concentrate you are after, you refrigerate and store that way.

You don’t keep it in the freezer.

calliecatcalliecat
    Participant

GKindred post=341178 wrote:

no it doesn’t, it was explained to me one time,

Not sure if that was directed to me…

But when you make orange juice concentrate, you are only freezing long enough to crystallize (freeze).

Once it is frozen, you then let it defrost.

Orange juice defrosts quicker than water and thus leaving you with concentrated orange juice.

Repeating this process increases the concentration as you are removing as much of the water as possible.

Once you have the amount of concentrate you are after, you refrigerate and store that way.

You don’t keep it in the freezer.

ahh – thanks 🙂

my info was from years ago, from an organic citrus grower, – think I was just thinking about fresh juicing mine for the freezer – and getting it out when I wanted it

think it degrades – sure he said it “could” make you ill, hey – I’m a senior :laugh: – the wheels fall off :laugh: :laugh:

Hi Ravyk, we dry ours in the dehydrator. Sliced not to thick. The 2yr grandson loves them.

never tried freezing.

GumnutGumnut

I’ve eating frozen orange pieces before (even froze a whole orange once) and they tasted fine (but a bit mushy once defrosted). I understand that’s probably not ideal though because it would take up a heap of room in the freezer! Maybe the juice is ok to freeze when it’s still in the orange?? Maybe you could freeze slices??

EDIT: Was curious myself and after some searching found this – of course have never tried it so can’t say if the info is reliable http://homeorchard.ucdavis.edu/8199.pdf

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.