Aussies Living Simply

Adelaide GTG – and Soapmaking workshop/demo – April 2013 (date still to be confirmed)

Home Forums Regional Groups South Australia Adelaide GTG – and Soapmaking workshop/demo – April 2013 (date still to be confirmed)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Vanessa

As a follow on from the last GTG we decided to try to plan another, but extend it to include a bit of skill sharing.

So here is the start of it.

Bel has offered her place, I have offered to do a Soapmaking demo, the date is still to be determined.

What I would like to know is in terms of soap making what would people like to know? I was hoping to get a bit of an information sheet together, and keep it simple, but is there anything in particular people would like to know/see?

Vanessa

jaden62

First point for me is simply learning how to do it. Seeing for myself how things are done, suggestions for personalising things, working out what equipment I’d need for my first few tries, etc.

Penny A

I would love to watch someone make a batch of basic soap. Im after basic visual information so I can feel confident to go away and give it a go. 🙂

Vanessa

At the moment I am thinking about doing something simple like an olive oil based soap (with maybe a couple of other oils added for their different properties) to make a cheap and simple basic soap, with no nasties (and I’ll go through the caustic soda not being nasty once it is in the final product, complete with a chemistry explanation if I can rely on Goolge or my high school chemistry).

no colours, no fragrances, just the basics.

froot_loopz

Im interested in watching you make soap,Ive always wondered how it was made and how simple it is

Iduna

A pure olive oil may or may not be a starting point depending on how you look at false trace and being experienced enough to spot it. Also supplying links to online calculators to work out how much lye is needed for a recipe and maybe showing a bad batch would be good too. Like what soap on a stick looks like, burnt/scolded soap false trace and ricing, along with discolour and DOS. Although that does require fragrance… A bad blue/purple colour would also be a good demo. I guess what I’m getting at is showing what not to do and what to do if something doesn’t turn out like you were hoping. Saves a new soaper time and worry.

Vanessa

Iduna…..maybe you might be a better demo person. I haven’t even tried colours, or fragrances, or all that many different recipies. Hence why I was going to stick to the basics, stuff which isnt too complicated and also Easily accessible.

My goatsmilk soap that I like is olive oil, lard, coconut oil, and sunflower I think, all available from the supermarket, and fairly cheap, for a goatsmilk soap.

Iduna

Supermarket accessible items for basic first time demos are the best for new soapers I guess I was just making it harder than it had to be. But it leaves it open for another class for people willing to try the next step a sort of soap making class 102 what not to do.

Sorry had to go pick up DH from the bus stop and then have dinner.

I’m more than happy to bring some fragrance oils, colorants (mica/ultra marines/oxides) and some oils/butters the problem I have is my inability to drive down into the city, I’ll have to try harder to convince my DH to drive me down. I have stick bender and some molds and jugs and stuff. But only as a side thing for anyone that might want to know what to do after the basic soap class.

dierich
    Participant

depending on the date and what’s happening with my house situation,if I can make it i could possibly pick you up Iduna – I’d be passing your area, just need to remember to get off the expressway!

Iduna

Thanks Dierich, I don’t even know whats going on with TAFE this semester so I won’t even know if I will be swamped with assignments at that time.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.