Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Adelaide Give-away – raspberry canes & sourdough starter

Home Forums OVER THE BACK FENCE To Give Away Adelaide Give-away – raspberry canes & sourdough starter

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    BelBel

Mat, Sigi & Vanessa,

I have 2 buckets in my front yard under the fruit trees – the grey bucket containing raspberry canes and the blue bucket containing boysenberry canes. I will PM you my address – you are welcome to come by at any time and take some.

Sigi – sorry, no sourdough starter left. After a good start, I let it die – too much maintenance for me at the time. Someone else may be able to help you….

Bel

sipisipi

Thanks,

I have been reading. Crystal suggested a starter with sugar, but Airgead says that no sugar is needed.

I will try from scratch and see how I go. But yes I too have a hectic life and am not sure how long I will go with it. Hope the kids like the flavour too.

Sipi

mudhenmudhen

Hi Sipi, I have some sourdough starter and live near Bel, if you would like some I can set some aside for you if you want to pick it up when you collect your berry canes. I’ve been using the River Cottage recipe to make my bread with and have been quite happy with it. Send me a pm and we’ll see what we can work out.

SnagsSnags

Ive PMed my details for the canes 🙂

sipisipi

Thanks Bel,

I picked some up yesterday, I left some oranges & mandarins in a bag by the front door. Hope they were still there.

Any suggestions re best place to plant them?

Do they require loads of space? I am guessing they will be bramble bushes and I don’t want them next to our driveway, but do they need lots of sun or loads of shade????

DH and I are very excited, we love berries.

I have made a sourdough starter. See how it progress!

P

sipisipi

Thanks Mudhen,

I had already picked up the canes before I received your reply.

I have started a starter so will see how I progress and will singout if mine fails.

Glad to see SA people.

Also read on the other thread about Gaganis. I haven’t been there in years, but will make a trip. I think I can get good bread pans/ cooking tins there by memory too, so I am looking forward to having a shop!

KristyKristy

Sipi I also have sourdough starter if you need some, I work near the city at Mile End, so let me know if you need some and I can bring some into work for you, but I started my sourdough recently using pinapple juice and wholemeal flour and no problems. I thought it was dead so just left it on the bench and a few days later it started having bubbles and it has been great since…

VanessaVanessa

Thanks for the boysenberry canes, they have now been planted in what is becoming my “Berry Corner”. I have Blackberry, raspberry, strawberry and now boysenberry, cant wait till they all start fruiting!!! I noticed this morning that the raspberry canes I got from you a while ago at one of the GTG’s are now shooting, and sending up lots of little shoots from the base, and the strawbery plants are all going well and flowering, just need to keep all the other critters away from the fruits!! I left some cuttings and a little rosemary plant with Mudhen the other day I hope you got them ok.

RavykRavyk

Hi Bel, do you have any left? I might pop up over the weekend or next week if you do. I’d love some!

BelBel

Vanessa post=348486 wrote: Thanks for the boysenberry canes, they have now been planted in what is becoming my “Berry Corner”. I have Blackberry, raspberry, strawberry and now boysenberry, cant wait till they all start fruiting!!! I noticed this morning that the raspberry canes I got from you a while ago at one of the GTG’s are now shooting, and sending up lots of little shoots from the base, and the strawbery plants are all going well and flowering, just need to keep all the other critters away from the fruits!! I left some cuttings and a little rosemary plant with Mudhen the other day I hope you got them ok.

That’s great Vanessa! I wish I had more room for a berry corner – mine are confined to a small area along the retaining wall. Good luck keeping the critters away from the strawberry plants – I found that chooks and ducks were the worst ‘critters’! I haven’t yet caught up with mudhen, but she told me she has the cuttings and rosemary plant and has been taking good care of them for me until we have a spare minute to catch up. Thanks so much! They’re going to be planted next to the new wood oven so we have herbs nearby to put on our food.

BelBel

Ravyk post=348529 wrote: Hi Bel, do you have any left? I might pop up over the weekend or next week if you do. I’d love some!

Hi Ravyk,

sorry, I don’t think I’m going to have any left. I have one small area left to pull out and I’ve already offered some to Snags, so those will be sent away soon. If I end up with more than I anticipate (which is highly likely!), I’ll drop you a PM to let you know. Are you just interested in raspberries or boysenberries as well?

Bel

RavykRavyk

Yes please! Any berries would be great! 🙂

SnagsSnags

The raspberries have landed

One small bunch of canes for Snags

A giant punnet for man kind

Thank you sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much you are very generous

I love raspberries, when they get going I will give away canes to the community garden,friends and neighbours.

…send me a pm so I can send you the postage or if you would like something in return seeds etc.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.