Aussies Living Simply

Adelaide Get-Together Mount Pleasant Sat 22 March

Home Forums Regional Groups South Australia Adelaide Get-Together Mount Pleasant Sat 22 March

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    BelBel

mudhen – I’m trying to re-establish my herb garden and would love any cuttings I can get. One of the rosemary cuttings I put in a cup of seasol is growing roots and it has encouraged me to try with other herbs. I’m a big fan of wormwood as I put it in my chicken coop to deter lice etc.

Would love for others to pick hawthorn berries – they are a weed up here apparently. I plan to try some jelly and cordial with them too. I’m still not sure about the yellow ones and have dropped some into the Mt Pleasant NRM centre awaiting ID. I might email Gumeracha council too, and send some pics to see if they can ID it seeing as it’s so close to their town.

Here are some locations of wild fruit trees on the way to our house for those who are interested:

There are quinces growing on the side of Lower North East Rd, Houghton. They are on the eastern verge, about half way between the township and the sharp bend in the road SE of the township.

There are red hawthorn berries in several locations along North East Road. They are on both sides of the road, within about 1-2km past Inglewood. There is another large red hawthorn bush opposite The Totness Inn pub in Mt Pleasant.

The yellow unidentified berries (suspected to be hawthorn also) are also on North East Road, just prior to Gumeracha, predominantly on the northern side of the road, but also one further along on the other side. You can’t miss them!

See you on Saturday! If you don’t have my address, drop me a message 🙂

KristyKristy

Sorry, but I am going camping with my Mum for a couple of nights at the beach, I had promised her before this date was announced. I hope to catch up with you all sometime soon.

VanessaVanessa

mudhen post=360670 wrote: I can’t believe it’s happening this Saturday already! DD13 and I will be there, I’ll bring some afternoon tea, water kefir grains for Vanessa and can bring some herb cuttings / small bits potted up if anyone wants some:

Marjoram

Lemon grass

Rose geranium

Tarragon

Garlic chives

Feverfew

Lemon Balm

Wormwood

I am about to pull out the entire wormwood bush that has taken over my herb garden. It is meant to be good flea deterrent when put in chook runs / roosts. I’ve strewn it in my dog’s house but don’t think it made much difference other than giving the area a pleasant scent! If anyone wants some of the branches I can set them aside to bring. They can be grown from cuttings so I’ve included it in the list above.

I’ve got heaps of sunflower seeds too, from ones we grew ourselves in a previous summer. Not all of them are viable so they could be a bit hit and miss. I’ve got some other seeds I’ll bring along as well.

Bel, is it possible to get directions to pick some of the hawthorn berries while we’re up that way? I’ve been reading up on it since your other post looking for plant id, and would love to add them to my cordial and jelly making. I might check out the “Ripe Near Me” website again and see if there’s anything else worth stopping for on the way up there!

Mudhen I would love some Rose geranium, feverfew and some Wormwood, most of the others I have already.

Really looking forward to tomorrow, cant believe it is here already!!

VanessaVanessa

Bel post=360675 wrote: mudhen – I’m trying to re-establish my herb garden and would love any cuttings I can get. One of the rosemary cuttings I put in a cup of seasol is growing roots and it has encouraged me to try with other herbs. I’m a big fan of wormwood as I put it in my chicken coop to deter lice etc.

Would love for others to pick hawthorn berries – they are a weed up here apparently. I plan to try some jelly and cordial with them too. I’m still not sure about the yellow ones and have dropped some into the Mt Pleasant NRM centre awaiting ID. I might email Gumeracha council too, and send some pics to see if they can ID it seeing as it’s so close to their town.

Here are some locations of wild fruit trees on the way to our house for those who are interested:

There are quinces growing on the side of Lower North East Rd, Houghton. They are on the eastern verge, about half way between the township and the sharp bend in the road SE of the township.

There are red hawthorn berries in several locations along North East Road. They are on both sides of the road, within about 1-2km past Inglewood. There is another large red hawthorn bush opposite The Totness Inn pub in Mt Pleasant.

The yellow unidentified berries (suspected to be hawthorn also) are also on North East Road, just prior to Gumeracha, predominantly on the northern side of the road, but also one further along on the other side. You can’t miss them!

See you on Saturday! If you don’t have my address, drop me a message 🙂

Bel, have you put them on Ripe Near Me, as “growing on Public land”?

VanessaVanessa

Ok heres what I can bring along if people are interested, I haven’t had a chance to pot anything up but can bring cuttings/dug up dividing plants.

Arrowroot

Comfrey

Purslane,

Rosemary (traditional straight stemmed bush, could make good skewers)

Garlic Chives

Lemon Balm

Lemon thyme

Lemon verbena

Pineapple sage

Osteospermum (this has self seeded in my herb garden, and makes a good easy care ground cover) http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/1099/#b

Myoporum parvifolia (Creeping Boobialla) I have a normal version and a fine leafed purple variety (Myoporum parvifolium purpurea)

VanessaVanessa

Also I was wondering if people might like to donate $1 each for a project I am involved in http://corenafund.org.au/one-dollar-challenge/

An anonymous donor has promised to donate $2000 if 2000 people donate $1 each, so far it is at 139 people.

The money goes to funding and installing renewable energy systems for community organisations (the next one is going to be Solar PV system for the Gawler Community House), in the form of an interest free loan which they then pay back from the savings on their electricity bill (so they are not out of pocket, instead of paying an electricity bill they pay back the loan) and that money goes into funding the next project, which is then paid back the same, so eventually it becomes self sustaining.

BelBel

Kristy post=360679 wrote: Sorry, but I am going camping with my Mum for a couple of nights at the beach, I had promised her before this date was announced. I hope to catch up with you all sometime soon.

Sorry to miss you too Kristy. Hope you have a great weekend away!

BelBel

Vanessa post=360682 wrote: Ok heres what I can bring along if people are interested, I haven’t had a chance to pot anything up but can bring cuttings/dug up dividing plants.

Arrowroot

Comfrey

Purslane,

Garlic Chives

Lemon Balm

Lemon thyme

Lemon verbena

Pineapple sage

Osteospermum (this has self seeded in my herb garden, and makes a good easy care ground cover) http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/1099/#b

Myoporum parvifolia (Creeping Boobialla) I have a normal version and a fine leafed purple variety (Myoporum parvifolium purpurea)

Sounds like a great collection Vanessa. I’d love cuttings/clumps of arrowroot, comfrey and your creepers if you don’t mind.

BelBel

Vanessa post=360683 wrote: Also I was wondering if people might like to donate $1 each for a project I am involved in http://corenafund.org.au/one-dollar-challenge/

An anonymous donor has promised to donate $2000 if 2000 people donate $1 each, so far it is at 139 people.

The money goes to funding and installing renewable energy systems for community organisations (the next one is going to be Solar PV system for the Gawler Community House), in the form of an interest free loan which they then pay back from the savings on their electricity bill (so they are not out of pocket, instead of paying an electricity bill they pay back the loan) and that money goes into funding the next project, which is then paid back the same, so eventually it becomes self sustaining.

Happy to donate Vanessa. Please remind me tomorrow though, as I have a terrible memory when I’m chatty and excited!

BelBel

Oh, and an update on the wild fruit situation. I had a better look at the locations on the way home from work today.

The quinces are on Lower North East Rd, Houghton. Either 1.6km from the North East Road turn-off or 4.4 km from the roundabout with Grand Junction Road.

The red hawthorn berries are between 0.8km and 2km on both sides of the road once you pass the Inglewood Inn.

I collected more samples of the yellow berries suspected to be hawthorn berries today. A lady was walking by so I asked her about them. She doesn’t know the name, but said she’d been eating them for years and they’re definitely edible as she hasn’t had any ill effects. She also said that some local ‘ethnic’ people have been collecting them and that’s why there are fewer left on the lower limbs. They are very tall trees, so bring a ladder if you’re game! They definitely seem to be ripe as they are quite soft. They have an orange blush, but are predominantly yellow.

I haven’t thought about posting them on RipeNearMe site Vanessa. I’m not that familiar with the site, but will pop over for a look….

BelBel

Oh, one more thing…..

Those who are coming will pass the Mount Pleasant Showgrounds on the main street on their way. There is a MASSIVE pile of pooey straw there from the recent show. If you’ve got a trailer, it’d be worth picking some up for the garden!

BelBel

Looking forward to meeting you too mummyjas. Cookies will go down well! I told my kids that yours were coming and my eldest was very excited to have little ones coming along. I’d love some violets, please.

jaden62jaden62

Sorry, I’m not going to be able to make it, even though I’d love to. We’ve got a stall on at Jasmine’s Assistance Dog Fundraiser @ the Gawler Showgrounds tomorrow, so we’re doing last minute preparations for that.

It would be lovely to see anyone who is going to go to that. Just look for the Hide & Hammer Leather Forge stall & stop by to say Hi.

VanessaVanessa

Bel post=360691 wrote:

Ok heres what I can bring along if people are interested, I haven’t had a chance to pot anything up but can bring cuttings/dug up dividing plants.

Arrowroot

Comfrey

Purslane,

Garlic Chives

Lemon Balm

Lemon thyme

Lemon verbena

Pineapple sage

Sounds like a great collection Vanessa. I’d love cuttings/clumps of arrowroot, comfrey and your creepers if you don’t mind.

Ok heading out to the garden to see what I can collect.

dierichdierich
    Participant

Joining the conversation late to say I can’t make – had a couple of things I had to wait to see on before I knew if I could make it or not, and having been ‘told off’ for saying maybe to a previous GTG (a long time ago) and then not being able to make it, I didn’t want to get in trouble again :laugh: :laugh:

Hope you all have a great afternoon, sounds like fun with lots of swapping to be had.

Hopefully I’ll be able to make the next one.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 63 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.