Aussies Living Simply

Adelaide Chickens **UPDATE WITH PHOTOS**

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE All things Chicken Adelaide Chickens **UPDATE WITH PHOTOS**

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    fruitfulfruitful

Hi Bel,

We recently got some bantam rhode island reds and some silkies from a guy in Sandy Creek and he does that kind of thing as a hobby. I can’t remember exactly what breeds he had coz i’m not really into it like my dd but he did have quite a few different breeds. I’ll try and find his details again for you if you like. Also there is a place near here, and they make their own chicken food and it is the best we have come across, it costs $30 for a 20kg bag and our yolks have never been so richly coloured and the shells are strong. The guy talked to us about what when into the food and what it was for and truly we were there for a good five minutes – he is passionate about it. They also sell chickens, we got two white, two red and two black – i can’t remember the breed types :/ but he rambled on about that too and they are great layers.

Vicky

BelBel

That sounds great Vicky. I’m going to see a guy in Macclesfield on the weekend that gypsyoak recommended, but he can’t say what he’ll have left, so it’ll be nice to have an idea of some others that might be around just in case.

BelBel

Well, we visited the guy in Macclesfield today that gypsoak recommended and bought our new chickens. We ended up getting 1 x barnevelder, 1 x welsummer, 1 x RIR/leghorn, 1 x plymouth rock, 2 x leghorns. They are really cute! The best thing is – we put them in with ‘sick chook’ on the off-chance they might play nice and they seem to be getting on just fine! I think the new youngsters are nervous to be in a new place and sick chook is nervous about getting pecked, so none of them are doing any pecking! They are all accessing the food and water and eating/drinking/foraging plenty, so even though it’s early days, I think they’re going to get on well. We won’t have to give away sick chook and she can finally have some company. I am so pleased! I would also recommended the chook guy at Maccesfield – one of the few breeders I found doing a variety of chicken breeds. Here are the girls:

BelBel

Here’s a pic of the girls free-ranging. They’re still very scatty and timid, but hoping they’ll settle over time. The Barnevelder looks like she’ll be the first to lay – she’s a big girl and has a red comb developing. They’re just starting to get brave enough to explore. They enjoyed the herb patch today – we don’t use enough of them, so I was happy they were making the most of them!

mudhenmudhen

Congratulations Bel on your new chooks — they are gorgeous! So pleased you were able to find what you wanted. Still hoping hubby will come round to the idea of chooks in our backyard, might get there myself one day! Here’s hoping your girls continue to get along and soon start laying.

gypsyoakgypsyoak

They are beautiful!!! I am so glad he had some you were after!! He is a top bloke!

RobyneRobyne

A friend bought her chooks and are good layers from “Olivers feed and stock” at Marion. she said its near the old drive in used to be I think there are houses there now.

From how she describe it it was near Diaginal rd and Marion Rds at the back of the shopping center way. I haven’t been down that way for years so its all changed since the enlarge the shops.

ali_celtali_celt

i do have a barnevelder who holds up no dramas in the heat. Having said that she doesn’t lay an egg a day or anything either. But she is beautiful. She’s just heading into moult now so not looking her best.

BlueWrenBlueWren

Lovely chooks Bel.Had powercut dramas and missed the updates. Hope all goes well.

BelBel

Chooks still going well. Very flighty and timid though. Hoping they’ll get more friendly eventually. I reckon the Barnevelder will start laying soon. I must think of some names for them! Sick chook is mixing well with them. She shows the rest of them that you can be friends with humans. At night when I check on them, the young’ns are on the perches and sick chook sleeps in the nesting box – silly thing! She looks so proud of herself.

BelBel

The new chooks are coming along really well. The are very funny things – lots of posturing and running around – trying to establish the pecking order, I guess. The leghorns are a funny bunch – lots of fluffing up their neck feathers at each other. The Plymouth Rock is huge! She looks like she’s wearing pantaloons :laugh: I still haven’t named them, but should do so. They share the yard with our 2 new Indian Runner ducks, but don’t seem to even look sideways at each other. I could sit and watch them for hours. I found some hidden eggs in my daughter’s fairy garden last week – courtesy of the Barnevelder I think. One was cracked, but the others were fine. A beautiful dark brown colour:

CeresCeres

They look like lovely chooks! Would someone mind passing on to me the details of the macclesfield breeder? I’m after a couple of new hens since 2 of mine turned out to be roosters….

gypsyoakgypsyoak

hi there! i will pm you.

xxx

KristyKristy

Just wondering if someone could please pm me the details of the Macclesfield guy as well please?

Thanks

Kristy

BelBel

Kristy, I have PM’d you. Just looking back on my photos, the girls have grown so much! The Plymouth Rock is a bit fluffy giant now. I will update some photos soon when the weather settles down a bit.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.