Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Adapting to climate change and other disasters

Home Forums OVER THE BACK FENCE Sustainability Challenges Adapting to climate change and other disasters

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    BobbeeBobbee

Bullseye post=352383 wrote:

Something I really need to hear is what it is that the scientific community know needs doing to slow down and hopefully stop the planets fall into its worst possible scenario.

Can someone, hopefully you Bullseye, please explain in simple terms. 🙂

:hug:

In short, since humans generally across our planet have failed at making even the slightest CO2 reductions, here’s a news story describing what’s failed and what’s needed.

Halting climate change will require “a fundamental and disruptive overhaul of the global energy system” to eradicate harmful carbon dioxide emissions, not just stabilize them, according to new findings by UC Irvine and other scientists.http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/01/130107100053.htm

Thanks heaps for that link Bullseye. :tup:

I also liked the more positive outlook of this one:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/08/110803133522.htm

Slowing Climate Change by Targeting Gases Other Than Carbon Dioxide

Aug. 4, 2011 — Carbon dioxide remains the undisputed king of recent climate change, but other greenhouse gases measurably contribute to the problem. A new study, conducted by NOAA scientists and published online August 3 in Nature, shows that cutting emissions of those other gases could slow changes in climate that are expected in the future.

The article finished with this paragraph:

“The long-term necessity of cutting carbon dioxide emissions shouldn’t diminish the effectiveness of short-term action. This paper shows there are other opportunities to influence the trajectory of climate change,” Butler said. “Managing emissions of non-carbon dioxide gases is clearly an opportunity to make additional contributions.”

lostinthefoglostinthefog

I think in a way it is on topic Lady B…I think Len is trying to get across that it is much more difficult to adapt to change on limited means…I don’t see what is wrong with the occasional whinge…we don’t have to be cheerful Pippi Longstockings all the time surely? A good whinge is very cathartic…like cheap therapy!

On topic now…Casalenta we do use mulch…it disappears very quickly thanks to our herds of worms and sometimes we need to keep the soil exposed to warm it up…anyhow as I said we do have limitless water…luckily for us. The farm we live on uses those huge pivot irrigators 24/7 so the amount we use is a drop in the ocean..got to keep the crops watered to feed the masses and keep everyone in pain killers, woolly jumpers and Angus steak!

Lady BeeLady Bee
    Keymaster

lostinthefog post=352417 wrote: I think in a way it is on topic Lady B…I think Len is trying to get across that it is much more difficult to adapt to change on limited means.

Len is not the ONLY one who is off topic, so don’t single him out!

casalentacasalenta

What about hardening up? If we’re faced with any sort of disaster, it seems like a lot of us (me included) are far too soft these days, and adapting to changed conditions (especially changes for the worst) means we need to be resilient and self-reliant doesn’t it?

I’m making a special effort to harden up anyway and learn how to do things for myself and take responsibility for my actions too. I don’t think we’re helped by living in a nanny state and I’ve got to the stage now where I turn on the radio in the morning to listen to the news and then find out what it is we’re supposed to be afraid of today, and then I turn it off and get on with life. 😆

Lady BeeLady Bee
    Keymaster

casalenta post=352510 wrote: What about hardening up?

Excellent point. I need to do that too. I’ve learned to do some things that I didn’t know before, but I’m far too reliant on energy and stuff I need to buy.

I turn on the radio in the morning to listen to the news and then find out what it is we’re supposed to be afraid of today, and then I turn it off and get on with life.

I don’t even bother to turn it on 😛

Hummer HumbugHummer
    Keymaster

Lady B post=352517 wrote:

What about hardening up?

Excellent point. I need to do that too. I’ve learned to do some things that I didn’t know before, but I’m far too reliant on energy and stuff I need to buy.

I turn on the radio in the morning to listen to the news and then find out what it is we’re supposed to be afraid of today, and then I turn it off and get on with life.

I don’t even bother to turn it on 😛

No me either Lady B … nor the TV. I turn on local radio every once in a while, thats about it.

BobbeeBobbee

Yep I’m into the hardening up bit, trying to get as fit and strong as I can because apart from staying healthy and not needing doctors all the time, we need to be fit to cope with the gardening and preserving etc.

And I try to learn something new, to do with living simply and not needing to run to the shops for every little thing, every year. Also a good idea to learn as much as we can re health issues, in my opinion.

Need to remember, I reckon, the strength in building community, which als is very much about of course. It just isn’t possible for many of us to be completely self-sufficient but by building community with like minded others we can make it possible to share/barter that which we cannot provide for ourselves.

🙂

GirlFridayGirlFriday

I went to a really interesting talk hosted by the Northey St Community Farm recently and the people there (David Holmgren being one of them) were warning about the crash/ bust/ depression that is coming which tied in quite serendipitously with a book I was reading called The Vanishing Face of Gaia- a final warning by James Lovelock. Basically in a nutshell, we cant keep going living as we are as there are simply not enough resources to fund it, money is overspent and overallocated for the ‘real’ amount of money that is in the economy and we are heading for a massive change in how we live whether we are ready or not, prepared or not. It was sobering to hear that the money I am investing in my Super now will most likely not be there in the 30 years or so till I retire. No amount of solar or wind farm energy produced will be able to cope with the amount of power usage we require (with a steady, stable supply). So now I am concentrating on putting in fruit trees, learning how to make bread and building a cob oven to bake in to reduce our power usage.

trandtotrandto

“It just isn’t possible for many of us to be completely self-sufficient “

Without a community, so you can swap with each other, it’s impossible.  Salt, rice, wheat, pepper, coffee, tea etc.  Next level up, grind your own flour etc

As to climate change. That’s an endless debate, I don’t  have enough scientific background (though I do have a science degree) to understand the physics and chemistry, so look to the Climate Scientists for advice on that… and what they say is… alarming

But with CO2 certain to rise over the coming few years, then, at the likely 2020 emission level, there will be ~13.5 years until the full 2°C carbon budget will have been consumed; i.e. full decarbonisation of energy before 2034.

As to ourselves, everything we do these days is based around how much carbon pollution we emit and then we don’t if it’s too much…. eg I quit work, we moved to a rural area for cheap housing and live off the grid, (no money means you can’t emit much, you can’t do stuff because you can’t “consume” but what I discovered was reading an e-book (I have a 10,000 book e library) on the veranda while watching the kangaroos feed is what I was looking for all along.  A good source for decent articles on climate change is The Guardian.

I had this debate some time ago on here about this exact thing.  In my wider community I see a lot of people saying they are concerned about the Environment when their actions say they really don’t give a hoot.  They drive 60km round trip to work by themselves in a car, they duck into town for trivial things,  the wear jewelry made of gold but complain about a possible gold mine up the road, they cook with gas and complain about CSG (not the same gas but CSG is “natural gas” used in cities for heating, industry and cooking).  They complain about bird deaths in wind farms when billions of birds are killed by cars and buildings. I have come to ascertain they aren’t really concerned for the environment at all, they just like to complain.  Making your own soap on Saturdays to “save the environment” after driving back and foward to work every day…  Heres what their driving does to the environment  This sort of thing is endemic but apparently this is okay as long as you are happy !  Look to supposed eco warriors like Naomi Klien, who flies all over the world flogging product, that tells other people not to fly all over the world flogging product because it’s unsustainable, and Greenpeace similarly 

I am indeed a stranger in a strange land.
    SnagsSnags

I wonder if Len will ever come back and tell us how much cheaper everything is now the carbon tax is gone?

trandtotrandto

Professor Dunning did a great article that goes a long way to explain the apparent non acceptance of the Scientific Theory of AGW.  Confident Idiots

Unfortunately as articulated by Professor Lewandowsky
    earthwalkerearthwalker
    Participant

I try each day to do my “little bit” to save the planet….hoping (probably in vain) that all my “little bits” and other like minded peoples “little bits” may add up to something tangible.  It’s the best I can do with what I’ve got.  PollyAnna?  Nah….just an aging realist who like it or not…isn’t able to do the whole ‘off-grid” “live off the land” thing.  I salute Snag’s Dad….mentioned earlier.  Major thing I’m trying to address is motor vehicle usage.  I now work part-time in the Community Services sector, my client base is scattered and mostly rural, I work for a terrific company, so don’t want to bail, but the kms are a constant source of guilt for me.  Though I have a great resume, work hard, never take time off, finding something closer to home is a bust….as a female with a disability (fortunately not that visible)  and being over fifty, my options are limited.  You can only do what you can with what you’ve got.

AshilleongAshilleong

I agree, earthwalker. You can only do waht you can with what you have! I think more people making small changes has more impact than one person making a big change. And, really, it’s heartening to see more recycled loo paper, free range eggs ect on the supermarket shelves as it indicates more mainstream awareness.

We’re moving towards a little smallholding of our own with a view to becoming more self-sustaining…. but it started with recycled loo paper from Coles!

Hi ya people, new to site but been doing my own thing for over 30 years and still going strong. Just on the doom and gloom end coming stuff, recently while planting vegies we got a visit from religious personal doing the rounds of the rural people. They were well dressed and drove a nice car and we are a long way from town so they are dedicated, they asked if i would like to have a look at a little book they were flogging off. The book was about the end is coming and am i prepared. After a good strong chat from them about being prepared as the end is coming and if i am not with them i will not be allowed into the promised land that is waiting for them when it all goes pear shaped. 
    I am a non believer but will listen to anyone’s point of view. Then i asked them a couple of questions, see this seed i am planting, i have saved it and many others from previous crops. If i gave you that seed could you plant, tend, harvest and re-save seed for future use?, the answer was no.  See your flash car, in your end of world there will be no petrol so can you ride a push bike? No. In your end of world, there will be no electricity generation so how will you manage?, i have solar. If you have no power how will you get water, do you have tanks? No. See every building here, i built them all, can you do any work like that?No. You guys are overweight and not very muscle toned, can you work out in the paddock and do hard labour?,No. My freezers are full of home grown meat which i butcher, can you do that.? No. In the end i pointed out that should the end of world come as they see it, would i be in a better position to survive than you guys, YES. But we will get manna from heaven. Well how can you beat that.  Have a great day.

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.