Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

above ground pool = fish production over winter?

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE Aquaponics above ground pool = fish production over winter?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    baringaparkbaringapark

Hi all

We have a small backyard pool which I would like to utilise to grow fish over winter. Anyone done this? Ideas please! How would I incorporate aquaponics?

thanks

E

earthboundearthbound

Hhhmmmmmmm, tricky one… Are you only wanting to use it for fish over winter and then use it as a pool again during summer?

baringaparkbaringapark

Yes, that was the idea. The children use it a lot during summer.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    earthboundearthbound

Nice links Dan..

The idea of trying to make a pool very productive over winter probably wouldn’t be that easy, as winter is one of the quiet growth times generally, and I imagine that the pool would havce to be emptied, cleaned, refilled etc, both before and after… Probably not such an effort though if it was a natural pool like in Dans links… Then it may be a little easier.

Anonymous
    Inactive

The only problem I see with the nature pools, would be disturbance… you may have to have a little sectioned off bit for the fish during Summer, you would also probably need to use extra filtration during summer due to grubby kids (skin and stuff, sunblock etc etc) Would you use aquaponics to filter the water ?

If you mainly wanted it for swimming then I cant see it being a very producetive system, as the water would need a lot of care an attention… Same with the fish and plants.

However if you aren’t after production, the nature pool is so the way to go.. Not sure how you would go retro fitting an exsisting above ground pool, maybe you could ferocement it 🙂

Anonymous
    Inactive

Bump for MUMCHOOK

Just saw a comment from a while ago in the photogallery…

MumchookMumchook

Thanks Dan, Mumchook’s just seen this! I just logged on again today to ask a question about natural swimming pools, did a search first and found this…

We bought an above ground pool for our old place before we moved in here, and set it up in our first summer as it was very hot and miles from the beach. Here, we generate our own power so therefore don’t like having a filter going as much as they need to and don’t like chlorine and other chemicals

We’ve debated about pulling it down but before I take that drastic step and the kids threaten mass rebellion, I really want to investigate natural pools and whether it’s a possibility for us. At present the pool is doing nothing and we haven’t had it set up to swim in for yonks… I bucket the water out to the garden. And the birds come and drink from it.

I contacted one Australian natural pool company but when I replied that I had an above ground pool I never heard from them again.

I will scour all those sites you listed Dan, but wonder if anyone else here has any personal experience. I might just put this up as a separate thread as well.

Thank you,

Ree#2

Yes everybody do it just get the one (……….) with the frame and put a different filter on it since it’s winter.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.