Aussies Living Simply

A snake with a sore head!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    CornonthecobCornonthecob

I found out yesterday that we have eastern brown tree snakes around here.

I saw one in the banana patch. In fact I was in there picking comfrey leaves for the corn patch when I couldn’t help but notice that as I was leaning over to harvert the comfrey I was standing on the poor snakes head!

Took me a few seconds to decide on a course of action. However the snake was kind enough to go slithering off into the mulch around the bananas when I rasied my foot. Needless to say I made my mind up there and then that I had enough comfrey!

The snake was only three foot, maybe a touch more, long.

🙂

FranceyneFranceyne

Aww…poor snake. It probably couldn’t understand why the world all of a sudden got heavy and dark! 😆

bushybushy

I’m gunna dobb you into the RSPCA Mr corn-on-the-cob, you big meany !!!!

CornonthecobCornonthecob

Trust me if I had seen the bugger I wouldn’t have stood on it! :awch:

bellabella

LOL. We have had a lot of snakes in our lives lately – on the roads, around the house. Must be that time o’ year…

chesterchester

you’re lucky , maybe you should buy a lottery ticket. Maybe it was eating some of your herbs and got happy :confused: Don’t they come in pairs?

CornonthecobCornonthecob

A lottery ticket? Nah…will save that for when I step on one that’s bigger. Unfortunately we didn’t find out the name of the creek behind our property until fater we’d moved in…..black snake creek! :geek:

Now those ones get big!

plumtreeplumtree

Are they poisonous and do they harm humans? Sounds like we have to look up as well as down!

CornonthecobCornonthecob

Both the eastern brown tree snake and red belly black are poisonous, the eastern brown tree snake isn’t considered dangerous…the red belly black however is a very aggressive snake….basically it hates anything that isn’t a red belly black snake, and even then that’s not for certain!

🙂

bushybushy

My info states there has never been a recorded death from a red belly black snake, thats not saying they don’t bite of course. Also rbb snakes favorite food is other snakes, so they are good to have around.

FranceyneFranceyne

I find that Red Belly Blacks are not aggressive…quite the opposite. What makes you say that the RBB is aggressive Cobber?

CornonthecobCornonthecob

Oh….well what I’ve read says they are?! Hmmm….maybe some more research is required! 🙂

Though, I would love to watch you guys try to explain that a snake isn’t dangerous to my wife!

😀

ChezzaChezza
    Participant

I once saw (on TV) Steve Irwin holding onto a VERY pissed off RBB, I’m sure it would of loved to make him a pin cushion!! Steve was telling us all about him and the RBB (which was as long as he was tall) was doing it’s darndest to get away, when that didn’t work it wanted to get even. 😡

Not something I’d be doing in any hurry!! 😆

Cheryle.

Lady BeeLady Bee
    Keymaster

Corny, there’s a big difference between ‘dangerous’ and ‘aggressive’.

CornonthecobCornonthecob

maybe Lady B….

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.