Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

A Raised Garden Bed for Less Than $25

Home Forums SUSTAINABLE CONSTRUCTION, ENERGY and WATER CONSERVATION Backyard projects A Raised Garden Bed for Less Than $25

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    kind_bloggerkind_blogger

Well that was a fun weekend. We managed to knock together a raised garden bed, including soil, for less than $25. Who here has built their own raised garden beds? If so, what materials did you use?

Wrote a blog about the experience too if you want to have a read.

BlueWrenBlueWren

That looks sturdy! Hope it all grows well.

My raised beds are “wicking beds ” made in old bath tubs, and I’m soon to make one in an old fridge.These are giant self watering beds and they work really well when water is limited.

kind_bloggerkind_blogger

Sturdy it is, BlueWren. The “base” is made from the 90x45mm frame of the pallet. That wasn’t originally going to me the case, but as we started pulling the pallet apart, we realised wouldn’t have enough long pieces. (The going was too hard hammering it apart so we ended up just sawing it into smaller pieces.)

Bathtubs and an old fridge. That is very cool. Your yard must resemble some sort of awesome botanical / industrial juxtaposition.

calliecatcalliecat
    Participant

kind_blogger post=349616 wrote: Sturdy it is, BlueWren. The “base” is made from the 90x45mm frame of the pallet. That wasn’t originally going to me the case, but as we started pulling the pallet apart, we realised wouldn’t have enough long pieces. (The going was too hard hammering it apart so we ended up just sawing it into smaller pieces.)

Bathtubs and an old fridge. That is very cool. Your yard must resemble some sort of awesome botanical / industrial juxtaposition.

:laugh: :laugh:

no it doesn’t actually, it really is very neat and tidy 🙂

mudhenmudhen

What a lovely garden bed!

And yes, pallets are great to use, but a real pita to get apart! I haven’t used them as a raised bed, but I have enough pulled apart to re-assemble into edging for my garden beds, just have to put them back together! I’ve also made a pallet strawberry patch similar to this:

http://themicrogardener.com/20-creative-ways-to-upcycle-pallets-in-your-garden/

If I had to do it over again, I would staple hessian to the inside front of the pallet before filling it with soil, to help keep the dirt in place, and just cut holes to pop the plants into. Otherwise my strawberries are very happy and I get to have a patch I otherwise wouldn’t have room for!

Andrew HobbsPardalote
    Participant

How long does the pallet timber last?

Around here they seem to be made from softwood, presumably pine and it gets eaten by white ants and rot very quickly. I staked some plants with 30 mm square posts about 3 – 4 months ago and several have already fallen over, having been eaten out at the base.

Cheers.

Andrew

BlueWrenBlueWren

Great link re pallets Mudhen ……has set off an idea in my head to make my large round mandala beds more practical….

Now, where to get free pallets – or even very cheap ones!!

Thanks for your kind comment re my garden,calliecat!

Anonymous

nice garden.

we have use no sides at all, through using bales of sugarcane mulch, to using 10″ wide clip lok roofing in 5 meter lengths, to now using full width corrugated roofing which is the answer to aging backs, would suggest even for the fitter ones do this now so when your back may give out the beds are there.

been using raised beds for at least a decade now, the clip lok roofing from demolition yard cost about $10 at the time, can’t beat the no edge at all beds, or using available rocks etc.,. but all a winner who do raised beds.

we usually use mushroom compost from the farm never bring soil in as we don’t know its history. this time we sued top soil (clayey brown and red loam and red clay) our beds are built now under less than 3 months now and in full bloom we are eating tomatoes, beans, zucchini, cucumbers, and silverbeet.

our beds are generally 5 or 6 meters long and 1 meter wide. we are now using part of a 1k bag of mushy compost we bought as mulch and covering with slashed grass. for the story the iron for 3 beds cost around $340, not cheap but good for the back, tried getting 2nd hand sheeting which would have been a whole lot cheaper (sold by weight at the price of scarp steel per kilo), but even though asked the scrap yard to save it when it came in they bent and buckled it up so no good then. if someone is doing a new roof grab it then. star pickets $5 each.

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/

enjoy

BW, try your produce agency or a transport business

len

Attached files

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.