Aussies Living Simply

A few photos to enjoy (wildlife, insects and plants)… recent visitors (snake & frog)

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE Pets and Native Animals A few photos to enjoy (wildlife, insects and plants)… recent visitors (snake & frog)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

I’ve been busy organising nature photos from our property and thought I would share a few. I’ve also added a few more photos (wildlife, insects, and plants) to albums on the ALS site. (Although, I can’t seem to figure out how to link to them from the forum. I think you can just click on our profile photo to locate them…)

If anyone is interested, there are more photos on our blog site: please click link Also, if there are any insect “experts” out there, I have a few photos of “unidentified” insects (a moth and beetle) in the collection. Please let me know if anyone can help solve the mysteries! :shrug: Enjoy…

red clover flower (2011)

mating ladybird beetles on rose bush with aphids(2011)

yellow-tailed black cockatoo (2011)

ErthgirlErthgirl

Wow! They are beautiful… thank you for sharing… look forward to seeing more. :hug:

mossymossy

Great pics :tup: 🙂

mistyhollowsmistyhollows

Wow :tup: Love the photo of the cockatoo.

Judi BJudi B
    Keymaster

This may help with the moth ID

http://lepidoptera.butterflyhouse.com.au/agon/agonoxenidae.html

Good photos :tup:

BobbeeBobbee

:wave:

Lovely pics, thanks for sharing. :clap:

:hug:

VickieVickie

Wonderful pics 😀 and a great topic!

I would like to share this pic I took of an insect I found in our clean washing last weekend. It is a massive bug for us 😉 , living in southern VIC, this is probably the largest insect i have seen sine we moved here 5 years ago 🙂

Attached files

BelBel

What an interesting bug Vickie – is it a cicada?

karyn26karyn26

Looks like a cicada to me too.

Beautiful pics,loved the cockatoo

VickieVickie

i thought it may be a type of cicada.. but its head was very sort of flat and broad.. and im not sure if thats normal for a cicada?.

i just loved it’s beady little eyes 😛

I thought I’d attach a few photos of recent visitors to our property. Enjoy!

carpet python (visiting our chicken coop over the past day)

green tree frog (visiting our bedroom)

As for the python, he (or she) did manage to get one of our chickens about 2 months ago (she must have made a great meal) 🙁 Since that time, we have worked hard to make the pen completely secure at night (during the day, our ladies are free range)…

The python is such a beautiful creature. I hope that it finds some bush rats (or other suitable food) to feed on. Otherwise, we may have to call in a wildlife officer to help relocate him (or her)… However, we are hoping to find a middle ground – if possible 🙂

After our most recent visit from a carpet python, I decided to do a bit of research to learn more about them… Did you know that they can live between 20 to 30 years? I’m amazed by that fact! Now, I’m fairly certain that I’ve seen this same snake over the past 4 years around our veggie garden and chook coop. How great is that? Here is a link to the site (in case you’d like to learn more): more about carpey pythons. Enjoy!

After our most recent visit from a carpet python, I thought I’d do a bit of research to learn more about them… Did you know that they can live between 15 to 20 years? I’m amazed by that fact! Now, I’m fairly certain that I’ve seen this same snake over the past 4 years around our veggie garden and chook coop. How great is that? Here is a link to the wiki (in case anyone is interested in learning more): carpet python wiki.

fruitfulfruitful

Hi Elaine and Ben,

wonderful pictures, you have a talent there. Wow to the python, I guess now you have a photo of him/her you should be able to identify by the markings or is that only giraffe and zebra?? I have to say that would freak me out, I get a crawling sensation up my back and all sorts of horrid heebee jeebee feelings when I see a snake, even a dead one and they have been way smaller than that one.

love following your journey

:tup:

Hi fruitful. Thank you for the kind words – and for sharing our journey 🙂 I have to admit that I’m not the biggest fan of snakes either. And, while I’m reasonably tolerant of nonvenomous snakes, I wouldn’t have the same reaction to a brown snake (or any other venomous one). However, with that said, I’m trying to learn to respect the role that they play and leave them some habitat to do their thing…

As the years have passed, my attitude towards the local wildlife has become much more tolerant. Believe it or not, our most destructive “visitors” are actually bandicoots and scrub turkeys. They continually dig out our veggies and seedlings and move our mulch. In response, we were originally going to fence off our entire “zone 1” garden area. However, now we are only going to put in several raised garden bins. The rest of the area is fair game – and hopefully will even benefit. In the end, I like having (most of) these creatures around. I just hope I can keep up with the extra workload they create!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.