Aussies Living Simply

72-hour kit: food ideas

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    NavChick

Hi All

I maintain emergency bags (both 24-hour and 72-hour) for myself, DH and our four-legged children as we live in a high-bushfire danger area.

Twice a year I go through them, checking everything is still in good condition and replacing anything that’s nearly out of date. The eye drops and saline and other first-aid items I really don’t mind replacing – I see it as fortunate that I get to replace them because they’re run out of date…

but the food… I have tried to stock them with foods that can just be cycled through our pantry but the disparity between simple foods that we keep in the pantry and special foods that are lightweight, easy to prepare and don’t take up much room is quite large. I just can’t narrow that gap.

So I’ve been looking into army ration packs, freeze-dried hiking meals and so on. Things that will last a few years if well cared for, are reasonably nutritious and offer more variety than ramen noodles ;). I know they’re pricey but we’re talking about emergency packs here – no place to be a scrooge IMHO.

Does anyone have any experience or sources for these things, or even alternative ideas for what to keep in my bags food-wise?

Cheers and Happy Festivus to you all

If I get sent on deployment with the SES, I always take some chicken noodle cup of soup sachets. Comes in very handy when it sometimes takes a few days for the food logistics (not saying we don’t get fed, just extremely limited variety) to get into full swing.

Greth

My two cents worth

I would keep flour, rice, pasta, dried noodles, instant potato if you can stand the stuff. there is your starchy food.

Add veggies, tinned tomatoes, corn, beans peas, whatever you like.

And for meat, tinned fish or spam (again if you can stand the stuff)When bushwalking our meat was metwurst, metworst pizza, metwurst cutty, metwurst stew, roast metwurst. Note that 20 years later I can barely look at metwurst without shuddering…

Our refrigeration is kinda dodgy at times, so I need to stock up with tinned or dried foods to supplement the fresh stuff. But strange to say, metwurst curry does not appear on our menu often, I’m never going there again.

Some oil for frying, veg or olive, big tin. Sugar too, useful ingredient. Hopefully you have a veggie patch to supply a few more yummy ingredients, chooks for eggs, but in worst case fire scenario, these would not survive.

Greth post=299274 wrote: My two cents worth

I would keep flour, rice, pasta, dried noodles, instant potato if you can stand the stuff. there is your starchy food.

Add veggies, tinned tomatoes, corn, beans peas, whatever you like.

And for meat, tinned fish or spam (again if you can stand the stuff)When bushwalking our meat was metwurst, metworst pizza, metwurst cutty, metwurst stew, roast metwurst. Note that 20 years later I can barely look at metwurst without shuddering…

Our refrigeration is kinda dodgy at times, so I need to stock up with tinned or dried foods to supplement the fresh stuff. But strange to say, metwurst curry does not appear on our menu often, I’m never going there again.

Some oil for frying, veg or olive, big tin. Sugar too, useful ingredient. Hopefully you have a veggie patch to supply a few more yummy ingredients, chooks for eggs, but in worst case fire scenario, these would not survive.

All that would add up to a pretty big emergency grab bag :/

Ggang

If the grab bag is mainly for fire evacuation are you sure food is absolutely necesary ?

Over here whenever we have had to evacuate the Salvos come along in their mobile kitchen and feed everyone ! Then our 4 legged wolfhound child went arround to everyone and looked at them eating and they fed her !!! I am sure she thought it was one of the highlites of her life !!!

Anne

clarecc

I just have some museli bars and supermarket packets of cooked rice – stuff you can eat unheated (though nicer hot). Maybe a jar of peanut butter (great calories/weight), crackers (need to find ones with long use by), tuna (I like the 95g mustard/mayo). Nuts and sultanas are good too. Hmm think I’ll add some 2min noodles since I have a camp stove. Why have 24 and 72 hour? Perhaps if you aren’t allowed luggage (e.g. rescue boat/helicopter) or if you have to walk a long way the 24 hr would be better. In a widespread emergency that wipes out roads I think you need enough for a few days at least.

BlueWren

Can’t remember her source,sorry, but for foods that are long life but do need cooking Jessica Watson, sixteen year old around the world solo sailor girl,ate very well for eight months.

fruitful

I just got a food dehydrator, I’ve been looking into it for a while and it is a very worthwhile purchase. Perhaps you could keep a selection of dried foods in your pack, I’ve started drying all the ingredients that we use a lot and also “in season” produce and I haven’t yet reaped the full benefits but it is looking to be a winner even after just one week of madly dehydrating. Isabel Shippard has a book on survival foods etc and she purees fruits together and adds herbs and nuts and makes “fruit leathers” -she calls them survival nuggets – that are nutritious and easy to store. Perhaps google her name and you will find her web site, it’s very good.

mistyhollows

I have the Isabel Shippard book and it is very good. I currently have in dh’s bag in his car (and need to add more) in our bags some muesli bars and other stuff and some of the vitafresh sachets which have added vitamins to add to water as for now I only use it as an emergency back up but I do need to add some other foods as he now travels quite a bit for work.

I have thought of dehydrating some veges and putting them through the food processor to make a vegetable soup mix which would be handy.

carolf

Misthollows really like the idea of drying a soup mix. You could add stock powder once the vegetables are done then it would just be a matter of adding water.

Sonya

You can get grab bags from boating shops and there are some great sailing books with lots of ideas for keeping food without a fridge. Especially Lyn and Larry Pardey’s books and even Kay Cottees book has a list of all the food she took with her.

Isabell Shipard’s book on self-sufficiency has a list of things too.

I’ve listed all our stuff on my blog http://www.permaculturepathways.blogspot.com

It pays to prepare – we’ve locked in by the floods, have been since Sunday and today our fresh milk will run out, but we have plenty of powdered milk in our emergency kit.

Cheers,

Sonya

NavChick

Ggang post=299316 wrote: If the grab bag is mainly for fire evacuation are you sure food is absolutely necesary ?

Yep. In the even of a bushfire our village is completely isolated, even though we’re just 8km from the Hume Hwy. Whatever we have on hand is what we have until Emergency Services can get through.

Looking at the pics of what’s happening in QLD:

In the short term, people were stranded on their rooves for hours or even overnight. Grab-bag would keep them with some comfort level during that period. A bit longer term, some evac centres are isolated unto themselves. If there isn’t enough food, water, bedding etc to go around then that’s tough luck. 72-hour packs would solve that to a certain extent.

Better to be overprepared than underprepared, I reckon 🙂

mistyhollows

Ok, so now I’m reaaaalllly going to get our 72 hr bags sorted out. These floods have really hit home to me how unprepared our house bag is. Hubby’s bag isn’t too bad as I did his first but with 2 little peeps in the house and a 4 legged child + 2 winged counterparts we would take if we could I really need to have something a bit better up and going.

Off to check out your blog Sonya!

Bullseye

I sorted out, I reckon, an 72 day food and other supplies kit before christmas. Soon as I saw the monsoon trough forecast to be moving south and the 28 day rain forecast, I stoked up on the 22 Dec.

Wish I had bought more of that delicious Gippsland smooth & creamy yogurt though. 😛

DW dropped by the supermarket this afternoon for fresh milk, it’s all gone. People in Bundaberg have been panic buying, as they’ve reported to have been stocking up in Gladstone.

Good thing we still have frozen milk at home.

E.g. 28 day rain forecast

Sonya

and remember…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.