Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

2012….End of the world?

Home Forums SIMPLE SUSTAINABLE LIVING Life Changes 2012….End of the world?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    GiannaGianna

martinw wrote:

I’ve already witnessed the end of the world – my 21-month old son had to go to bed in the middle of Dora the Explorer!

:lol::lol::lol:

RinelleRinelle

Having done a lot of research on the mayan calendar (not because of end of world beliefs, but because it is the basis of a roleplaying game I used to play called Shadowrun), 2012 is the year that the fifth world will end, and the sixth world will begin. So not so much an end of the world, but I would say a big change of some sort. From what I can gather, the mayan calendar is based on many astrological observences, so there could be some reality in it, though what exactly it means who knows.

It’s interesting that you wrote about magnetic reversal Sprite, because I have long suspected that it could be something like that (and a quick Google search reveals that I’m not the only one). Twill be interesting to see.

Well, it’s good thing I’m coming home then … would hate to have to walk all that way …

I have a question, How accurate were some of the Mayan’s other predictions? Probably would have been more handy for them to foresee the time around 1520 when Hermen Cortez was a tourist in their part of the world.

ChezzaChezza
    Participant

Thanks mt ben, now that song is going around and around inside my head!!!! Star Treking across the universe…….. :p

Reid_alderbooks wrote:

I have a question, How accurate were some of the Mayan’s other predictions? Probably would have been more handy for them to foresee the time around 1520 when Hermen Cortez was a tourist in their part of the world.

They did – it is a well-documented fact that this was why they approached the conquistadors in friendship – in the hope of averting the problems … A healthy cynicism is fine, as with all these things, but there is room for belief also …

hillbilly girl wrote:

They did – it is a well-documented fact that this was why they approached the conquistadors in friendship –

That I would like to see!

I believe the first contact was a crew of a ship captured, some members were sacrificed to the gods and the others were made into slaves. Hardly a friendly gesture.

google it then, I am sure you will be pleasantly surprised

GeoffGeoff
    Keymaster

the basis of a roleplaying game I used to play called Shadowrun

Wow, I haven’t heard of that game for yonks 😆 :geek: :tup:

2012 is the year that the fifth world will end, and the sixth world will begin

IIRC one world ended with a jaguar, and another with fire, and another in flood, and this one is due to end in earthquakes?

The interesting bit about the Mayan calendar is that they knew enough about astronomy at the time to know that the particular date in 2012 is when the sun arrives at a position in line with the galactic centre, which only happens once every 25,800 years. And we reckon we’re advanced 😆

I really don’t need to as I have a bookcase with more than one book regarding the conquest of the Yucatan peninsula and the aztec empire(Mexico), One of the surviving sailors from the first contact ended up as Hermon Cortez’s interpreter 10 or so years later. Anyway the point is moot. The conquest of the America’s was guaranteed as soon as the first european stepped ashore with smallpox. Which brings me back to my point, if they are so great at predicting the future, why didn’t they see the plague that was coming on canoes pulled by clouds?

ChezzaChezza
    Participant

Doesn’t the calendar just run out after a certain time (maybe 2012) and that is where the end of the earth scenario comes in?

Also Nostradamus followers reckon we need to worry when the Pope dies as the next one is the last one…..

:shrug:

geoff wrote:

The interesting bit about the Mayan calendar is that they knew enough about astronomy at the time to know that the particular date in 2012 is when the sun arrives at a position in line with the galactic centre, which only happens once every 25,800 years. And we reckon we’re advanced 😆

Exceptional mathematicians, but they knew about the wheel yet didn’t utilise it. :shrug:

GeoffGeoff
    Keymaster

but they knew about the wheel yet didn’t utilise it.

Maybe they knew something we didn’t know? Like the wheel being the root of all our evil 😆

beccabecca

Chezza wrote:

Also Nostradamus followers reckon we need to worry when the Pope dies as the next one is the last one…..

Gee, what a shame that would be…

I belive humans are the ones saying how long the earth will be ok for, through global warming ect.

I belive i have alot more in this life to do befor i die i know in my heart the earth will still be here when i am layed to rest back in it.

Everyone has there own ideals and belifs 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 59 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.