Aussies Living Simply

2 Days a year ?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    trandto

Having a recent read through Jackie French’s “Sustainable Living” book (from the library) and she mentions she spends 2 days a YEAR in the garden, (not including harvesting) She did mention that much work was needed initially to get the soil up to scratch…. but really, 2 days a YEAR in the garden ??? My partner spends that a fortnight ( a day a week), this gets the question, what are we doing wrong 🙂

mistyhollows

Does she have a gardener or do it all herself??? We must be doing something horribly wrong or she doesn’t grow much!

trandto

mistyhollows post=302842 wrote: Does she have a gardener or do it all herself???

ha ha 🙂

She said she never weeds, never does pest control (handled by chooks etc) and makes the point that the garden is a mess, albeit a very productive one.

My partner cried “bullsh&t” … I said hey, it’s everyones guru, Jackie French, it must be true… I don’t know, seems to be an astounding claim to make, 2 days a year, I am interested in what others think ?

Hell we spent 1/2 of the morning getting a new bed of strawberries started.

mistyhollows

I find it very astonishing trandto but if she never weeds welll……..I know it takes us at least an hr or maybe 2 to dig in a new bed, then there’s planting, watering, harvesting, cleaning it all up after, mulching blah blah blah 😆 Don’t even start me on my strawberry bed at the moment it’s completely overrun with weeds.

Perhaps she lets it all self sow and that’s why she can’t see the weeds???:whistle:

trandto

mistyhollows post=302846 wrote: Don’t even start me on my strawberry bed at the moment it’s completely overrun with weeds.

Our new one

http://menuchanechona.blogspot.com/2011/01/gardening-and-catching-up.html

mistyhollows

Are those weeds I see in the back of that old bed Trandto?? :laugh: :laugh: I wouldn’t be able to manage that in only 2 days a year either! Looks good.

LindyChook

Gee we don’t do much after the mulching, weeding, digging, planting, sorting, making of fences, etc but all that takes more than 2 days and a few weeks later we are attacking the weeds again! Jackie does use weeds as mulch and allows all her crops to self-seed but I honestly can’t see 2 days being enough for anyone’s garden! I must ask her!! The kids want to write to her anyways to thank her for the book she sent them so I will add in a note 😉

Does she mean 48 hours in total a year or just 2 days out of 365?

treacle

I’ve always been a skeptic, she says a few days a year & makes the no pruning no sowing no pest control but them goes on about how she uses weeds & moves them around for fertiliser & about hoe her favorite potato growing is in prunings from the kiwi fruit.

She says she loves to hang in the garden, I’m betting she doesn’t realise how much she potters around, hell I was shocked & what a difference a 2 week holiday made to my garden & I never intentionally garden I just wander & pull a bit here & mound there & train a few things as I go.

Greth

I spend probably an hour gardening every day. It is what I do instead of going to work and earning $ an hour to spend more $ an hour for food someone else has grown.

It would be about the minimum I think, if you really want to grow for yourself.

That is reality. It takes quite a bit of your daily time to make food instead of working for someome who pays you so that you can buy rubbish and call it food.

Your choice which way you want to go.

gremmbles

2 days a year! I don’t believe it for a minute. Perhaps the comment was misquoted or taken out of context. Or maybe she only grows a few types of veges. I know I live in the tropics, but the weeds take over if I am not out there every second day.

And as for the chooks being pest control……they also eat everything I plant if I let them in the garden. My chook are banned from the garden or I wouldn’t get a thing.

I probably spend 2 days a week in the garden all up.

treacle

She claims most of her food is from perennials which given her description would be fairly chicken proof.

But still I’d rather have the hour or more a day of pottering & have nicer looking more sensitive vegetables.

Wazza

Jackie is regarded as ‘the guru’ by many, but I lost faith when she said all it took to grow your own fruit and vegies was 1 hour a week, which I guess equates to 52 hours a year or the 2 days per year she claims. From my long experience, I’d say to double or triple that figure. She makes her living from writing and selling books, so headline-grabbing statements like that make for good marketing. Like, you’d want to buy the book just in case might be possible and save you a heap of work. Excuse my cynicism, but I’ve seen a lot of this over my six decades on the planet. It’s like the diet programs that say “eat as much as you like and lose 2 kg a week”. Your gut feeling is there’s something wrong with what they claim, but you buy it anyway, just in case it works.

bluezbandit

Tell her “She’s dreamin'”.

edensgate

Not a Jackie fan here. She didn’t branch out into fiction-writing for nuthin’.

I got given one of her books for Xmas. She writes continuously, ‘I haven’t tried it but XYZ is supposed to work.’ Suspect she reads a lot about gardening practices and garden histories and natural remedies and only tests out a few of them before she publishes them under her own name. Am I being harsh?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.