Permaculture Food Forest

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE Vegetables Permaculture Food Forest

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by MistyH MistyH 1 week, 5 days ago.

• Creator
    Topic
    MistyH
    MistyH
    Participant

Hellooo…anyone out there? I’m slowly converting our acreage in SE Qld over to a food forest. Any tips or hints from those that have done this before? It’s a NE sloping block on the side of a Mtn. Good rainfall.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    MistyH
    MistyH
    Participant

I had some orange seeds from oranges I’d bought from the shops, not organic. They didn’t grow. The organic apples I planted at the same time had leaves within a week or so. I’ve just now planted grapefruit seeds from our own tree this time which is organically grown so I’ll see how they go. It could also be that the oranges from the shop had been in cold storage for a long time so they’re not as viable. I’ve also popped 1/2 an organic kiwi fruit in some coconut coir. It does make you wonder if non organic foods are treated with something as I can only normally grow from organic. Even leeks which I normally regrow 3-4 times are only growing from the base of organic now 🤔.

ballamara
    ballamara

I might try some orange and tangerines in pots and see what happens. The oranges I can from here but will have to buy the others. I don’t know if they would work maybe organic would be better what do you think?

Judi B
    Judi B
    Participant

I haven’t grown citrus from seed because I find little ones popping up all over the place from the compost some I have transplanted and they grew but I haven’t had fruit on them but they make good food trees for the butterflies, there were citrus planted here already. I am trying to grow custard apple, longan and carambola from seed I can’t afford to pay for trees then have them die in the first frost.

ballamara
    ballamara

Judi B, have you ever grown citrus from seeds and if so how did they go?

Judi B
    Judi B
    Participant

I have another tree now to plant in the food forest area Gumbi Gumbi I was a good girl and only bought 1 plant today LOL…. but in 3 weeks time the Wondai Garden Expo is on then I’ll probably go crazy 🙂
    Midyim are an understory plant and I planted it in a warm spot… well for here it is a warm spot the nasturtiums didn’t get frosted.
    I wish warmer weather would hurry up I want to start planting more trees.

MistyH
    MistyH
    Participant

We’re on couple of acres of sloping ground Judi which is great for drainage but we need swales in many areas. I’ve started a huglekulture bed as an experiment which also acts as a small swale but I’ll need some heavy machinery for the rest.

Wallabies & bandicoots are my biggest prob right now tho I’m trying to look at the positives with the bandicoots in that they dig some of my planting holes for me 😊. We inherited a half dead orchard of less than 10 fruit trees. So I’ve had to pull a few and I’ve planted oranges, mandarins, lemons, pigeon pea in the chook run for free food & 2 fruit salad co trees in the chook run. One an apple mix & the other a stone fruit mix. The stone fruit does well..apple not so but it’s still getting established. I’ve just struck 6 pink lady apple seeds but I’ll need to find a ‘cooler’ part of the property to plant them. The chooks dig up my comfrey so that’s now covered with wire, then I have Rosemary, lavender & the variegated mugwort which I am coming to loathe. It a feral plant & is invading the garden it’s in which I’ve now decided to turn into a veg bed so it’ll be interesting trying to tame that. I think it’ll find it’s way to the bonfire pile! Calendula seems to go well here, midyim berries not so in their full sun position around the chook run. I’ve just underplanted a hoop pine down the hill with rose scented geraniums as nothing else grows under pines. If they establish I might look into some blueberries which should like the acidic soil under the pine. It’s a monster of a tree with a few large natives around it & is down the hill from the orchard so I need a swale between the 2 areas. The rest of the property is a jungle. We’ve planted a couple of macadamias down the bottom of the hill/jungle with a couple of established macadamia trees, to see how they’d go with complete neglect & they’re surviving after 18 months so that looks positive ☺️.

Judi B
    Judi B
    Participant

I’m trying to get a food forest going it is taking me forever but I’m fighting nature we lost several trees to flooding and storms some trees that were blown out of the ground we managed to prop them up and they are growing and flowering, the ones we couldn’t save were used as the base of a hugelkulture bed.
    I don’t have much trouble with wallabies but possums and deer will eat everything I’ve got chicken wire around small trees to stop the rabbits/hares from ring barking them and some of the larger trees I’ve put foil on the trunk for the same reason, I get savage frosts here so have got trees planted so the frost will flow away from the trees, I’m trying to create a micro climate. I find that lots of garden pages say plant in full sun well the sun is so strong here I try and get a canopy that will reduce the strength of the sun so I planted Tipuana as it is a very useful tree decidious, a legume, the leaves make great mulch and the foilage can be fed to stock. I underplanted the Tipuana with nasturtiums, parsley, calendulas, comfrey and Midyimberry. I have several Mulberries these add to the mulch as well. I hope to one day get it so there is no weeding or mowing needed.
    My food forest is on flat ground but I’m putting in some mini swales to catch and direct the little rainfall we do get to the root area.
    Already planted fruit: 3 Black mulberry, 2 King White Shahtoot, 1 White Mulberry, 1 Dwarf Mulberry, 4 Figs, 1 Loquat, 1 Strawberry Guava, 2 Midyimberry, 2 Carob, 2 Apricots and 1 Fingerlime. I have a lot of herbs out there as well comfrey, yarrow, wormwood, mugwort, parsley, lavender, thyme and rosemary, also plants to attract bees. I have lots of other stuff to go in as soon as the weather warms up…. arrowroot, more figs, more mulberries, strawberry guava, japanese raisin trees, ginger, pomegranate and some more fingerlimes.
    If I find a fruit I like I try and grow it from seed first to see if it will survive here and if it does I spend the money on a good tree.
    If you have any questions just ask…. I’m no expert but will try and answer them.

ballamara
    ballamara

I have never tried to grow a food forest(not enough reliable rainfall here) but my DD has one underway on their suburban block. She started by planting what ever the family liked and expanded from there. From what you have said on another thread about a wallaby problem, I would start with either fencing of a small area or good protection around each tree.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.