Best small town communities

Home Forums Regional Groups Connecting Best small town communities

This topic contains 22 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Jilsta 1 year, 10 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author

Jilsta
    Participant

Where is ‘here’ Snags, sounds idyllic… i have travelled very similar roads to you looking for somewhere but hubby’s work commitments, and needing to stay within couple of hours of kids and grandkids, and finances has made it hard to find what we want. Perhaps the Utopia i crave does not exist… I too am feeling the pinch of age but think i can still manage a hill or two  :-)..p.s soil is rubbish here too…. clay, waterlogged in winter, rock hard from spring onwards

Snags

Central Qld  between Bundy and Gladstone

Liora
    Participant

I’d have to give a shout out for the yarra valley region. We hadnt been here long and we had people waving g’day very soon. Lots of permie stuff, bee groups, lots of community activities and all close enough to things one need, shops and cultural activities etc. We have wonderful neighbours and friends to share produce between, we have just been given 20 kg of venison, help to start our bees again and numerous cuttings and plants. Our little family love it here. Crazy knitted/crocheted hats the norm 😉

ballamara

We are happy here on our hill top. Soil is very ordinary with more rocks than you can poke a stick at but things do grow in it,especially the weeds. :)) As for neighbours we have none, just the way we like it. Inglewood is close enough for coffee and has an IGA/hardware. Oh and op shop for DH

Jilsta
    Participant

All properties sound wonderful, I am in Clunes but considering, wetter and milder climates, hate the heat and after last year a little worried about bush fires. Realistically a fire can happen anywhere though. I finish my job on Friday and after that will do a little research but it does look more and more like we wont be going anywhere. Price values here compared to other locations are making it hard. Hopefully i will fall in love with our property again 🙂 … ballamara my property does very well with weeds too… a mammoth job as soon as i give up work I’m afraid… Liora the Yarra Valley is gorgeous and we have looked over that way often but getting through Melbourne to family halted that idea… although it is a stunning location. Snags i have family that moved from Vic to Qld and they say its the best thing they did 🙂

foodie

After 22 years in and around Canberra, we also are on the lookout for more hospitable (climate) country, as well as possibilities of more village oriented neighbours. In all this time I still haven’t formed any friendships where I could drop in for a cuppa without formal club events or invitation only get-togethers. Even my immediate neighbours have guard dogs that scare the daylights out of me.
    Now studying the Permaculture Design Certificate, I’m more driven to find that next address, and my timeline is 12 months.
    I’ve already fixed my heart on Mount Gambier ! yes, the town never seems to be on the radar of the hippie movement, but it covers the following criteria.

1/ price – I can buy a small acreage (10->15) with money leftover from selling up here.
    2/ sufficiently south to give cool summers and gives the option of growing cool climate trees. Namely apples, walnuts, pome fruit, berries
    3/ mild enough to grow citrus without hothouse infrastructures like I have here. Incidentally, its only down the road from Coonawarra, so I figure grapes would be on the agenda too !
    4/ sufficient rain to supply ones needs without irrigation requirements for the entire summer.

Is any one else mildly curious about the town?

AlisonC

It might be worth investigating Maleny on the Blackall Range in SE QLD.

But if Victoria is more desirable perhaps Mallacoota is the place to hide.

Or if you really want a bolthole there is a little place called Captains Flat that is at the end of a long and winding country road near Queenbeyan in NSW.

Just some random thoughts.

Jilsta
    Participant

Hi Foodie, we looked at Portland Victoria… small city just before Mt Gambier on Victorian side. We were all set to sell up and go there however research identified it was a lot busier and commercial than we thought. I am looking for the quiet life. Hubby visits Mt Gambier often in his job and is the ideal climate i think. Alison C… we are bound my hubby’s job which is located mostly in Victoria Mallacoota is ideal but doesnt suit Hubbys job.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.