phone

insurance

rego

fuel

and a bit for maintenance

and you had a good veggie patch chooks etc

I don't know, is anyone out there doing it now?:shrug:

Comments

• Would depend on the 'etc.'. If we had solar power, were close to services so didn't have to drive far, then maybe. I guess if we had to we could, after all, most of the world's population probably live on less.

P
  • yes we could cos it costs me about that now and there are 5 of us here (and we help out our DD and her BF too sometimes)

SO yes - and I look forward to when I only have the 2 of us to deal with for the same amount of money - oh the things we could do!;)
  • I live by my self but survive on $280 a week. I suppose if the extra person didn't use $120 extra power/food etc you could be alright....don't forget to try and put some asside for emergencies. Thats the bit I always bugger up on:shy:
  • Hmm no mortgage or rent, we would be doing it easy. If I took out the weekly cost of our mortgage from our weekly income it leaves almost $400. I cut corners where ever I can. I avoid going to town as it is only temptation to spend money on things that are not needed. I only do the groceries when I absolutely have to and I take a list of what is needed and stick to it. I buy the basics and make things from scratch. Much cheaper, not to mention being healthier. I use wee wipes so we don't use so much toilet paper. I grow as many fruits and vegetables as I can and I don't have a lot of success yet, but that will come with experience. We have chooks but we don't eat a lot of eggs so I sell them at work for $3 a dozen and that tends to pay for their food. Wow, sorry to be so long winded but just wanted to show that it is definatley possible and is also a much better way of life. We are in no way miserable about the way we live. We see ourselves as being rich. It's just not in money terms. Oh, that is with 2 adults and one 11year old boy who likes his food, two dogs, around 18 chooks, 2 pet sheep and a horse. (I dont' think I left anyone out). GO FOR IT!!
  • Hi Kooka, Narelleh and Kirsty

are any of you guys using alternative power? or just conventional bought in elec?
  • easy! the four of us on are on that much a week for groceries, power, fuel, rates, insewerants etc
  • Fatima

that's inspirational,:clap: I think for me, it's just getting the courage to jump! the time is getting closer......

and Jaymes you're doing it too

this is encouraging:tup:
  • We have no option but to do it!

Mains power - and we pump our own water from bore and pressure pump at house, in summer we selectively use a/c

But there are soooooo many places that we cut costs (I won't call it saving cos if you saved it, it would be there and it ain't!)
  • Without a mortgage? Oh yeah, no worries. We were living on about that for the first year here, spending over $100 a week in mortgage repayments. Only thing was that it made purchasing big ticket items very hard. We took money out of redraw to pay for solar hot water, water tanks.. the idea is to save money in the long-run. I think it'll pay off. :)

We're big op-shoppers, and we love to eat from the veggie garden.. and in general, have a frugal outlook on life. Mind you, Marty bringing in some extra money now is being taken advantage of (we paid the solar without taking money out of redraw!! wow! and we're splurging on some other things - some that aren't designed to save us $ in the long run either.. :lol: )

But yep, it's certainly doable! Especially with no mortgage or rent.
  • Yep, we do it too...sometimes it's less than $400, because of the US$ though. ( DH is retired US Military, his pension is our only income)

We shop once a month ( 65Km to town). Grow what we can, have chooks ( chicks too soon, we hope).

We tend not to go anywhere much in between the shopping because our Troopy chews the juice. Luckily for us, we're both hermits so it doesn't matter if we don't go places/visit etc.;)

It is doable without the mortgage, I guess it's more a frame of mind- you decide to change your focus is all really.
  • We do it too. No mortgage (we downsized) , small farm, chooks, kids all left home (sigh!! well sort of - they just keep coming back!!) But we don't go out a lot - brew our own alcohol and pretty much eat what I grow. Our choice not going out, by the way, we like staying put after hectic life in city ,love the quiet pace of country life.
  • we are on a pension ans we live on about that amount of money, we only have small yard so not much room for vege' garden would like 3 times more garden then things would be lots better, no room for chooks that would be great if we could, but we get through often having to ask for extension to pay bills, not a breeze but we have no extravagances, no chance of a day at the movies, and we don't maintain a large wardrobe just enough to ge through on.

and looks like it could get harder ahead.

len
  • Yeah, I've been doing it for 9 years now, only one person though. Petrol is my biggest cost because I'm not so much of a hermit. After 11 years of driving on dirt roads though, I need a new car.

Next year I'm hoping to move to the NT to work for a year so I can afford a new car. I work part time here, and it's not really probable that I can run this place and work full time.
  • Hi Kooka, Narelleh and Kirsty

are any of you guys using alternative power? or just conventional bought in elec?
    To answer your question Oneday,

I have no alternitive energy here but my water is $75 peryear capped and unlimited so that helps with vegie growing and stuff. Saying that I haven't had a vegie garden this year as Im redoing my garden currently.
  • I don't know, doesn't it also depend on where you live? Groceries, petrol, rates and power are different prices depending on which state you live in, sometime even which district....
  • $400 per week???

For what it's worth, my Niece and I live on just over $400 per week....

I'm on an allowance and Anglicare pays an amount for my Niece as she was classed as homeless until she came to stay with me...

My $400pw includes rent (40% of income)

and there is just my Niece and I plus dog

the usual bills:

elec ($10-15pw summer, $30-35pw in winter I have an electric wall heater,electric hot water heater so ONLY the lounge room gets heated in winter, no clothes dryer, no other form of heating in bedrooms etc...)

gas (n/a)

phone ($25pw) (includes internet broadband it is our only extravagance)

insurance (none except for basic third party property on car, no health insurance for either of us, no contents insurance)

rego ($500pa paid for by delivering junk mail @ $10-15 pw week extra income)

fuel ($20pw)

and a bit for maintenance (huh what maintenance???? The car gets serviced twice a year at $100 a pop and as little work as possible goes into it)

So all our fruit, vegies and other groceries are bought at the moment. And Tasmania isn't the cheapest place around for food...or electricity in winter for that matter. We try to buy Tassie grown fruit and veggies and as many Australian sourced products as possible. We rent and cannot dig a garden, the landlord does not wish us to.

We've just been given 4 big black tubs full of dirt to start a herb/lettuce/tomato garden. Have a peppermint off-cut in one tub trying to grow. No money to get the other tubs started yet.

We don't entertain or go out much, maybe see a movie once a year if that, we buy breakfast at macca's once a fortnight on payday as our treat. We don't buy takeaways anywhere else.

Our main extravagances are our internet, our petrol bill to visit friends out of town, my inkjet cartridge cost and costs to attend church functions and for me to provide activities for my Sunday school class out of my own pocket. It's a bit hard for me to find work, I don't meet the criteria for a DSP, as I have Aspergers Sydrome, a fused spine and hearing loss making it hard for me to find work. So having the internet stops me going right round the twist with boredom.

So yes it can be done on a small income in a rental. we are careful about our purchases and it is hard, but what is more important is not the amount of money needed, but the mindset. If you think positive and make the attempt to ENJOY living on a limited income, it will eventually happen, regardless of where you live and how much self sufficiency you have. That's my theory anyway...

Lizzy :D
  • Kirsty wrote:

Hi Kooka, Narelleh and Kirsty

To answer your question Oneday,

I have no alternitive energy here but my water is $75 peryear capped and unlimited so that helps with vegie growing and stuff. Saying that I haven't had a vegie garden this year as Im redoing my garden currently.

:jawdrop: I wanna live where you do!

Our fees ect are rediculas but i reccon no mortgage we could do it for sure!
  • My parents are on a pension, just a little over the $400 mark a week, there rates are quite exe about $3000 or so a year. They manage to run the house, food, elec, car, insurances etc. They do not grow loads of veges but a couple they eat all the time. They actually manage to save quite a bit of money and take holidays once a year, cruises are there thing these days....

I think its defo do-able if you budget and plan correctly....
  • Myself and DH2b are living very similarly to jilumasam at the moment. He is still unemplyed so we are relying on my (casual) income at the moment which averages $400 pw. We pay $250 a week rent and the rest covers food, power and insurance. It is very tight and means things like new clothes and shoes will have to wait a while and my car is sitting in the backyard, not moving for two months because I cant afford to get it fixed...but if we werent paying rent well then darnit I would feel positively rich with $400 a week!
  • We have no mortgage or rent, there are 2 of us, we have solar power and a veg patch and there is no way we could live on $400 per week.

We could probably 'survive' on that much but we wouldn't be really 'living'. IYKWIM

I guess it depends on whats important.

Having spare money for emergencies, holidays and a few luxuries is very important to me.
  • I agree that it's about the mindset.. attitude to the situation. Personally, I'd rather be living on $400 a week and have my DH home with me all day and we can do the vege gardening, reno's, etc etc (life is never dull!) together. Sure it's nice to have a bit of extra $ but the downside is that he's away from home 9 hours a day now, and I miss him terribly! I don't get as much done without him - it's been hard to admit that I'm just not as strong at manual labour as he is. :lol: But he felt it was something he had to do to "get ahead" but money isn't everything. I miss him a lot! :shy:
  • We're hoping to! I'm still working and we are working through the capital expenditure stuff. At the moment we are arranging to replace the solar hot water which is now 25 years old. We are minimising our outgo and maximising our saving, although we still eat out a bit too much:shy:

Nev
  • Other than the mortgage our family of 2 adults and 2 young children live on about $500 a week.

We do quite well on that for day to day living expenses but I find the big stuff stressful (ie our 10 yo car is starting to need more doing to it and we are slowly saving for a water tank).

We live in a little country town which makes it easier as there is not so much to miss out on (no movies or restaurants). A lot of things others consider essentials are out of our reach (like going to the hairdresser or buying softdrink, we also can't run the heater often in winter and no air con in summer).

At times it gets me down and I feel like I just want to splurge on something for myself. It helps that I have friends with similar lifestyles so that I can feel proud of what I have rather than try to keep up with others.
  • Hi there!

Due to our current circumstances we are living on less than $400 a week. We are family of 4 and have no mortgage or rent. Earlier this year we were fortunate enough to be able to put 16 solar panels on our shed to feed the grid with the help of the gov rebate, before I had my accident. The panels actually give us a credit on our bill.

Even though we live in NQ we do not have air cons or a pool.

I write up a budget at the beginning of each year with a list of all the bills and when they come in. I then write the expected bill into my diary and calender. I add up the bills and add $150 to the total and then divide by 52 (weeks) allocate this figure to a bank account. This is our "Bill paying Account". I found if it was set up that the money was automatically transferred to this account I always have enough to pay the bills without stress. It does take 12 months for it to work efficiently ( unless you have a bit of spare cash to start with ) but it is definately worth it.

Our groceries are around $100 a week. I buy only what I need for that week ( a list is vital ). I have 16 chooks so no need to buy eggs atm a lot of our meals are egg based with salad picked from the garden.

DH brews his own beer and we have a mate who has a pot still so I am able to have my Baileys.

I utilize the library where I get magazines, dvds, books of course and ours even have computer games for the kids.

I am a big op shopper. I prefer to support our local charities.

I love to garden so I am always looking for plants to take cuttings from. I love the art of propagation. I have been known to pull over and take cuttings from plants that are on the footpath or median strip.

Also at the beginning of the year I write birthdays into my diary and calender so I can have gifts ready instead of making an impulsive buy.

For gifts I tend to sew, bead, make hampers, pot up plants ect.

This year for christmas I'm doing a slide show movie of our family to give to rellies that are far away as we do not see them very often. This also saves on postage costs.

We do pot luck dinners with friends instead of going out for a meal. It is so much nicer to be able to talk to our friends instead of having to yell across a table.

I'm sorry for prattling on but I love being frugal it gives me such a buzz. I know I'm just a freak!!!!!

With a little forethought and realizing what you can do without and enjoying what you have it is quite easy to live within $400.

It just takes a little getting used to.
  • lotus, that is amazing. i love the idea of having a separate account for bills. :clap:
  • Lotus Blue: I want to be just like you when I grow up!

Deb
  • My daughter and I live on about $400 a week, including rent, it gets tight every week but i have to plan everything in advance.We eat simple meals, meat and veges, what every is cheapest, we dont grow any veges (need to start). We eat at home mostly, my daughter has to eat a gluten free diet, which made our grocery bill go up. Best advice is to PLAN everything and i pay my bills fortnightly when i get paid, so its not a huge bill that i have to find money for. :D