Welcome,Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Gardening in the Southern Tablelands 2011

Gardening in the Southern Tablelands 2011 3 years 3 months ago #300408

• geminisc
  • Woodland
  • Thank you received: 9
New Year means new thread! My last thread made it to 50 pages, and half those pics I think are irretrievable what with the move from the old site to the new, and I don't have the patience (or time) to re-upload them all.

So I thought it was time to start afresh! And now's a good a time as any!

Here is the garden currently:

Everything's doing ok. No super bumper harvests like busylizzie or some of the other als'ers out there, but it's pottering along.

Broccoli and Kale are both going to seed and are COVERED in grey aphids. Better they hang out there, rather than discover my bean seedlings!

Parsley is continuing to flaunt how happy it is:

Here are the purple king beans:

I have to collect beans as they grow - I'm not getting super big harvests, but if I collect as I go, then by the end of the week I have enough to value add to my stir fries

Here are some more - most of these are green beans - the first of which I picked last night to add to the stir fry. I probably had about 4 that were ready, and even then, still on the slightly small side

My squash plant has grown overnight after the last bout of rain:

At the moment there's one female flower open but I don't spot any males. I need to go home and double check whether they self pollinate or if I need to step in. I haven't seen any bees since September. Although there are plenty of mossies and little slender hoverfly kinda things that sound like bees and have yellow and black stripes but aren't fat enough to be bees...

I also have three cucumbers at the moment, all weirdly triangle shaped. I wonder if the change in temperature, rain etc has caused the funny shaped cucumbers. They are the same species that I tried to grow last year and they were all uniform last time around.

Louffa is still small and doesn't look to be as thriving as the squash.

I also have a kohl rabi!

Only one, but it's still exciting. I might wait another week before pulling it out.

I've already harvested most of my parsnips, but my last batch of carrots didn't germinate. I might also give busylizzie's trick a go, with getting some seed raising mix. I don't see myself getting around to cutting up hessian etc.
My gardening log:tinyurl.com/gardenlog
My doggie blog:frednelsie.blogspot.com
Last Edit: 3 years 3 months ago by geminisc.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Gardening in the Southern Tablelands 2011 3 years 3 months ago #300413

• geminisc
  • Woodland
Potatoes, Tomatoes and Berries

My purple potatoes have started flowering and I managed to do some bandicooting two weeks ago. Came up with about 4 purple potatoes approx 5-7cm wide! Was VERY excited. We put them in an oven veggie roast along with the parsnips.

You can see the purple potatoes in the foreground:

In the back are the kipflers which have only started flowering. I added another heap of shredded newspaper, lucerne and compost on top, and everything's packed in so tightly atm that I can't move it enough to dig around for babies.

Interestingly the purple potatoes haven't sent out any more flowers.

In comparison, the potatoes in the water tank patch haven't done much at all:

One of them has started going yellow, but I wonder if that's simply from the heatwave we had last week.

In fact most of the things in that bed are sort of in stasis. You can see the small plant on the right - that's my jap pumpkin. It doesn't look too happy and is still teeeny weeny, when you compare with the growth in my squash plant - and both are from the same family...

Tomatoes are doing ok and I'm starting to see a bit of fruit:

Not big enough though to harvest. I *think* these are rogue de marmondes.

Here is a closer shot:

In comparison, here are the yellow and red pears in my hay bales:

they do not look happy and i'm thinking there isn't enough nutrients to keep them there. i don't think i'll bother with haybale growing next year.

the red pears that i put in the ground were a lot darker green and just seemed a touch healthier in comparison. (see below)

Now berries... my initial raspberry crop is at an end, but the second cane I bought is still producing:

I also went and bought a yellow raspberry cane just before Christmas and ended up putting it in the lemon tree pot after it was obvious that it was dey-aid.

No berries so far. It's a bit burnt around the edges because I'd left it in its original pot during the Christmas heatwave. Bad I know... :pinch::whistle:

In the process of planting these raspberries i also transplanted the strawberries that were only sending out runners (no fruit) into a self watering container. it didn't seem to like the move much

you can see the sorry state it's in (the one on the right).

In the back are my zebra toms, which still don't have flowers, and my strawberry pot which is in its third spot, after the last two proved to be too hot for it. so far no major wilting in hot weather, and it's starting to produce flowers again. I think I'll have to go and get some tom food for the toms and strawbs to help encourage fruit growth.

Some more strawberries that have yet to produce fruit and only seems to want to send out runners:

That's also a coriander going to seed next door.

Here are the original raspberries:

My plan is to move all these canes together in winter and put them in a metal trough I have found around the back. Currently said trough doesn't have drainage holes, but it's just sitting there wasting away with no purpose in life, so i think it'll be pleased with the occupation change.

i also gave in, and repotted the blueberry plants. i felt guilty having them in the same black plastic pots for the last three months, and the plant didn't look like it was doing much. No new growth etc.

Pot 1:

Pot 2:

I put down compost and then mixed in some camellia potting mix to help recreate acidict conditions near the top where the rootball is.

Re: Gardening in the Southern Tablelands 2011 3 years 3 months ago #300418

• geminisc
  • Woodland
My jersaleum artichokes that were in pots has proceeded to grow taller over the last few weeks:

but again, the tank bed JAs are still fairly small. I wonder how much has to do with soil conditions vs location. The Pot JAs are north facing, with its back to the house.

the water tank ones are in soil that used to grow native plants, mulched over with a thin layer of alapaca poo before being smothered on top with straw... :dry:

I also moved the rhubarb again. It was looking fairly sickly in the pot I had it in, so I dug a hole and shoved it in the ground. It is also in the water tank bed but so far it's looking fairly happy in comparison to its neighbours. it's sent out new growth and has gotten a darker green, not to mention it doesn't look as eaten as before.

Here are the zucchinis. They took forever to germinate, and after they did, they're still fairly small. Only about 4cm high I reckon. A bit taller than the pumpkin plants, but yeah,.. not a PATCH on the squash and cucumber.

Lastly is the newly established orchard.

I finally got hubby to dig me some holes and I now have two apricots and 3 nectarine/peaches in the ground. So far they look fairly happy. The soil there is clay, but it's on a slope which means drainage should be ok. I also added some potting mix on top to help incorporate water, and watered it with dissolved lime water.

The fig has also been planted and already looks a lot happier - darker green leaves. I didn't get around to taking a pic of that one, so I'll hold out on it until my next update.

Re: Gardening in the Southern Tablelands 2011 3 years 3 months ago #300426

• Fozzie
  • Tree
  • Chocoholic
  • Thank you received: 25
Wow! You have heaps to keep track of!!

Interesting about the tommies in the hay! What a bugger it didn't work out that well.. you'll have nice composted hay for mulch/ the compost heap once finished.

I've got parsnip seeds that need to be planted also, so at the end of the month, or more likely next month I'll let you know how Busylizzie's seed raising mix goes also! Or we can compare our experiences! :)
"One of the most delightful things about a garden is the anticipation it provides" W.E. Johns.
"Nothing beats a harvest" T1

Re: Gardening in the Southern Tablelands 2011 3 years 3 months ago #300742

• geminisc
  • Woodland
Hey Fozzie,

Maybe we should start a carrot competition thread? hahaha..

I decided to give carrots another go yesterday. Weather forecast says rain due for the next three days. And it'd already rained over 25mls on Saturday Night/Sunday.

I sprinkled a bunch of round thumbelinas and normal carrots onto a patch in the garden and kind've mixed it up a bit with the dirt. I'll be curious to see if anything happens.

Do let me know how the seed raising mix goes!

Re: Gardening in the Southern Tablelands 2011 3 years 3 months ago #300744

• Fozzie
  • Tree
  • Chocoholic
When I started to run out of seed raising mix for the last row I just put a thin layer of dirt over... the seeds have germinated!

I'm not sure where to put my next batch of root veg as my current root veg area is running out of room! I think I have an area... I'd better start preparing it!

It'll be a slow thread with the parsnips and carrots! Don't they take forever to grow (mainly the (parsnips!)!!??
"One of the most delightful things about a garden is the anticipation it provides" W.E. Johns.

Re: Gardening in the Southern Tablelands 2011 3 years 3 months ago #300746

• geminisc
  • Woodland
i put in parsnips back in autumn/winter, and am still waiting to harvest all of them.

i've usually had better luck with parsnips. I just sprinkle them on the ground and wait for them to germinate. usually i get something. whereas with carrots - ha! they hate me :(

i didn't cover my carrot seeds with a thin layer of dirt over. how long did it take between sowing and germinating?

Re: Gardening in the Southern Tablelands 2011 3 years 3 months ago #300749

• Fozzie
  • Tree
  • Chocoholic
*checks Gardenate iPhone App* :lol:

I planted my carrot seeds on the 21st of December, They started appearing a week or two afterwards... now some are just starting to fork at the leaves. I should thin them... but I'm not game as knowing my luck something will come in and eat the remainder!

And the best thing about the seed raising mix is that there are less weeds that appear around the carrots... and I'm less likely to think that the carrots are weeds!

I've read about parsnips being difficult... which makes me more determined to grow them!

Re: Gardening in the Southern Tablelands 2011 3 years 3 months ago #300754

• geminisc
  • Woodland
i've read that too, but other than taking a few weeks to germinate, i haven't had an issue. *fingers crossed*

i just spread the stuff fairly generously.

gardenate iphone app??? methinks someone is showing off.... :laugh:

Re: Gardening in the Southern Tablelands 2011 3 years 3 months ago #300756

• Fozzie
  • Tree
  • Chocoholic
I'll send you a supply of carrots if you can send me a supply of parsnips then! (if I can't master the art of growing parsnips)

Haha... sorry, I sound like a yuppy! but really... when it came time to buy my phone... the iPhone was the most reasonably priced! And I looooooove Gardenate, tells me what I should be planting!! :)

Re: Gardening in the Southern Tablelands 2011 3 years 3 months ago #300762

• bushy
  • Woodland
  • Thank you received: 50
Gem, carrots germinate easily if covered withy something like a piece of underfelt, just sprinkle seeds on soil or lightly bury, cover and keep damp,check every so often, remove cover as soon as the seeds sprout.
Also with ur kale and broccoli, as they are flowering at the same time they will certainly cross pollinate so you will prolly get weird plants if you sow that seed
If you think you can
If you think you can't
either will be true.
Henry Ford

Re: Gardening in the Southern Tablelands 2011 3 years 3 months ago #300767

• geminisc
  • Woodland
yeah i have gardenate emails every month.

i couldn't justify the $80 monthly plan when i was looking at mobiles. i hardly ever use my phone, so just stuck to the basic nokias on their low end plans.

i reckon if you can grow carrots you can grow ANYTHING! :D

Re: Gardening in the Southern Tablelands 2011 3 years 3 months ago #300768

• geminisc
  • Woodland
Hi Bushy,

Thanks for the tips.

Weird plants? Sounds interesting! :laugh:

Re: Gardening in the Southern Tablelands 2011 3 years 3 months ago #300769

• Fozzie
  • Tree
  • Chocoholic
Yeah me too (re the mobile plans). I got mine for $50... it's turning out to be cheaper than the home phone and I make heaps of calls/ use lots of internet with it too!

I can't grow seedlings! and I can't grow cauliflour very well... and the broccoli are struggling from a previous rabbit attack and now caterpillars!

Re: Gardening in the Southern Tablelands 2011 3 years 3 months ago #300771

• geminisc
  • Woodland
$50 is a pretty good deal! i'm on a $30 plan and only rarely go over. i'm also a bit stuck in terms of choices, because where i live the only company that i can get coverage from is telstra :angry:

i found with brocolli a net covering made a HUGE difference to the caterpillars.

i haven't tried cauliflower yet. so many veggies as yet unexplored! :lol:

Active Groups

Upcoming Events

pcp_button

GrowVegAffiliateAdvert120x60